Rady School to Offer Master of Finance

Guardian File
Guardian File

UCSD’s Rady School of Management introduced a new Master of Finance program for graduate students beginning in the 2014–15 school year.

The 52-unit program comprises fall, winter, spring and summer quarter, with classes such as Investment and Analysis and Advanced Financial Risk Management. The program concludes with a summer project where students are meant to apply their education to a project from their own experience or workplace.

An announcement from the Rady School of Management emphasized UCSD’s ability to provide a unique perspective on a finance program.

“UC San Diego has a rich tradition in empirical and theoretical econometrics with some of the most widely used empirical models developed from the research of UC San Diego faculty,” the statement read. “The emphasis on rigorous empirical data-driven methods differentiates the Rady School’s Master of Finance from programs specializing in financial engineering.”

Rady professor of finance Allan Timmerman also believes UCSD is an ideal campus to provide a Master of Finance degree.

“Some of today’s most important tools for risk management and forecasting of economic time-series were developed at UC San Diego and led to the 2003 Nobel Prize in Economics being awarded to UC San Diego faculty Robert Engle and Clive Granger,” Allan said. “This tradition is reflected in the Master of Finance program’s focus on time-series econometrics, forecasting and risk management.”

Another Nobel laureate, Harry Markowitz, will be teaching a portion of the program.

Rady’s MBA programs cost about $85,000 a year according to Business Week, with accepted applicants posting an average GPA of 3.29 and an average GMAT score of 683. The school was not considered in Business Week’s annual rankings of business schools in 2012. Rady is primarily a graduate school, though UCSD undergraduates can earn a business or accounting minor in conjunction with the business school.

Each of the three major universities around San Diego has its own, full-time business school, though none has been ranked by Business Week.

This year, Rady will be celebrating the 10th anniversary of hiring its founding faculty in 2004.