U.S. Needs to Take a Responsible Military Approach

Dear Editor,

The U.S., the richest country in the world, doesn’t have the money to provide health care and security for its citizens, even though virtually every other developed country does. Republicans continue to call for social cuts that aid the poor of our country while Democrats seem hogtied. So why can’t we equal other countries in providing for our citizens? Is it because we spend half of our federal budget on military? G.W. Bush increased the military budget [about] 30 percent, and it hasn’t come down under Democratic rule.

And look what our military has achieved: Iraq and other foreign disasters. With the greatest military on Earth, we can’t win. Perhaps we need to take a different, more responsible approach, helping rather than harming others, both here and abroad.

Milton Saier
Professor, Molecular Biology

▶ The Guardian welcomes letters from its readers. All letters must be addressed, and written, to the editor of the Guardian. Letters are limited to 500 words, and all letters must include the writer’s name, college and year (undergraduates), department (graduate students or professors) or city of residence (local residents). A maximum of three signatories per letter is permitted. The Guardian Editorial Board reserves the right to edit for length, accuracy, clarity and civility. The Editorial Board reserves the right to reject letters for publication. Due to the volume of mail we receive, we do not confirm receipt or publication of a letter.