Album Review: “Wake Up” – Youngblood Hawke

After the release of the Youngblood Hawkes’ self-titled EP containing four preview songs including the popular hit “We Come Running” back in August, listeners were eager to see if the brilliance would embody the rest of the album — and it does. 

Disliking the direction their music was heading, Simon Katz and Sam Martin decided to form an entirely new band, Youngblood Hawke, along with three of their friends. Although the band name comes from the Herman Wouk novel of the same name, the group takes its meaning to a different level. 

The band’s first official album, “Wake Up,” contains vocals and a sound similar to that of Foster the People and Phoenix. “Wake Up” appeals to a wide range of audiences, providing a mixture of attitudes varying from fun and light to complex and nostalgic. 

It shows off the band’s ability to implement different types of instruments yet keep the sound flowing from each sound change to the next. Specific highlights are the dance club synthesizers found in the song “Dreams” and symphony elements in “Stars (Hold On).” 

Although the album’s name does not come specifically from a titled track itself, the words “wake up” appear in “Dannyboy.” The lyrics read, “Wake up, Danny boy, there’s a world outside.” While the track is upbeat itself, the song hints at tragedy. The inspiration of the song comes from a friend of the band members, who was put in a coma after being hit by a drunk driver. The song shows the band’s ability to mix opposing emotions seamlessly.

With the release of this premiere album, Youngblood Hawke has certainly proven that it is a serious competitor in the music world. 

Every UCSD student should be in front of the stage for the band’s performance at this year’s Sun God Festival on May 17. (9/10)

$2515
    $5000