Baseball Downed by Azusa Pacific

The UCSD baseball team lost 7-5 in extra innings this past Saturday against Azusa Pacific University. The Tritons hosted the midday nonconference bout at Triton Ballpark against the 11–26 Cougars squad.

UCSD struck early, jumping out to a 5–1 lead after the fourth inning, but ultimately allowed six unanswered runs to cross the plate. UCSD got on the board first in the second inning, when second baseman Andrew Hobson grounded out to first in order to secure a run batted in. The Tritons stranded three base runners however, and the Cougars escaped with only one run allowed. In the third inning the Tritons loaded the bases again but failed to score. Both instances would come back to haunt UCSD later in the game.

The Tritons did the majority of their damage in the fourth, as they rallied for four runs in the bottom half. Junior Scott Liske homered to lead off the inning. UCSD capitalized on a throwing error by Azusa Pacific pitcher Joel Belk to score again, as senior center-fielder Danny Susdorf generated the run with speedy base running. Senior Richard Seigel hit a sacrifice fly to center field, and junior Justin Rahn doubled to increase the lead for the Tritons.

Rahn finished the day four-for-five with an RBI. Junior catcher Nick La Face added two more hits for the Tritons, who outhit their opponent 15 to 11, and crossed the plate twice. Junior transfer shortstop Dillon Moyer also had a productive day for the Tritons, going three-for-five with a walk. UCSD starting pitcher Blake Fassler pitched well for the Tritons, going five innings and only surrendering two earned runs.

The Cougars scored late, recording three runs in the top of the eighth to tie the game. Azusa Pacific designated hitter Ryan Henley delivered the crucial two-RBI single for the Cougars to bring them back into the ballgame.

The Cougars held the Tritons scoreless for the rest of the game after the fourth inning. Azusa Pacific relief pitcher Nate Namanny pitched six scoreless relief innings to shut down the Triton offense.

Two singles from batters Tyler Putjenter and Mitch Dergazarian each scored runs for the Cougars, who put two runs up in the top of the eleventh to secure the victory. Despite a leadoff double from La Face in the bottom of the inning, the Tritons were unable to mount a comeback and fell seven to five.

The Tritons now enter a tough stretch in their schedule, jumping back into California Collegiate Athletic Association play in the upcoming series against top of the conference Chico State University. 

UCSD has to play 10 of its remaining 12 regular season games on the road, with its only home games coming in a home-and-away series against Cal State San Bernardino. 

The four-game series against Chico State kicks off next Friday, April 19 at 6 p.m.