Schooled in Beauty

UCSD has given us one more reason never to leave campus with the recent opening of Salon 101 last Tuesday in Price Center East. The salon is owned by husband and wife, Tony and Claude Azur, who also run another salon called “Salon de Claude” near Bernardo Village, San Diego.

“There was much competition with other salons in the area,” Claude said.

She attributes the Azurs’ success in gaining the contract with UCSD to their prior experience at Salon de Claude.

It is clear that the salon is still rather new — there are no curtains in the room at the back, where intimate waxing takes place.

“UCSD is a liberal place but perhaps not to that extent,” Claude said.

Price Center East was the only designated area for a salon on campus, so Claude did the best she could with the area, using every structure — even setting up shelves with nail polish in between two large pillars.

There is an extensive array of services ranging from haircuts, facials, waxings, pedicures and highlights for both men and women, and they will be adding more services.

“I didn’t want the salon to be really cheap or really expensive,” Claude said. “I think it is very reasonable — it should do OK.”

The grand opening was buzzing with both male and female students who received tours of the salon, signed up for future appointments and entered into a raffle. Having spent my last class picking split ends, I jumped on the bandwagon and booked a “shampoo, cut + blowdry” for the discounted price of $32 (usual price $40) for the following day. My friendly hair stylist, Lauren Champion, was very chatty and accommodating to my long locks. According to Claude, the salon employs 14 stylists and is looking to take on more. None of them knew each other, an idea which “allows a clean slate,” Champion said. I was captivated by Lauren’s blow-drying skills, which involved endless flicking of round brushes, spraying a plethora of products on my head and having me slouch down in my chair due to the added challenge of my height and my hair combined. Lauren is often asked how she tones her arms, and she just replies: blow-drying. I can see why.

Student reaction to the opening of the salon has been mixed.

“I think it’s a little pricey, but it’s a brilliant idea that helps those out on campus who don’t have a car,” Roosevelt College sophomore Vivahni Shashtry said.

On the one hand, the convenience of the salon is undeniable, and the location is perfect, but perhaps it merely encourages the idea of the campus bubble for the laziest among us. “I get to be lazy and get my hair done between classes,” Muir College junior Jasmine Chu said. But others did not see the future as bright for the salon.

“Students at UCSD aren’t rich to begin with,” an anonymous student said. “It’s not going to go well.”

Other students are angry that there is even a salon on campus when other places have been shut down — such as the crafts center — and been replaced with private businesses, turning UCSD into a private university with a public name.

If you can afford it, or simply want to treat yourself to a haircut, pedicure or an array of bodily waxes between classes, Salon 101 may be a good option.

“As long as they can do my cornrows, I’m down for it,” Warren College senior Tracy Brittner said. Perhaps Claude needs to think about adding this to her repertoire.