Album Review: “Pedestrian Verse” by Frightened Rabbit

Hailing from Glasgow, Frightened Rabbit is proving itself to be Death Cab for Cutie’s trans-Atlantic counterpart with its latest release “Pedestrian Verse.” Not unlike Ben Gibbard’s band’s darker explorations on “Narrow Stairs,” Frightened Rabbit’s album manages to achieve new lyrical and musical perspective. Just as its name suggests, “Pedestrian Verse” is an album depicting average — including (or especially) the most negative — aspects of day-to-day life. It is not solely a collection of songs, instead operating as a distinct narrative whole.

Starting with the plaintive “Acts of Man,” the album begins with quieter, more reflective instrumental gestures. The album’s highlight is undoubtedly the cathartic, upbeat recent single “The Woodpile.” The following track, “Late March, Death March,” is surely its lyrical rival, a theologically focused song that echoes the sincere folk-rock of Edward Sharpe. The remaining songs are bookended by two one-minute tracks — both entitled “Housing” — that add to a the cohesiveness displayed by the album as a whole.

It is a difficult balance to strike between being both musically multi-faceted and achieving a sense of voice in one album, but Frightened Rabbit has achieved just that in “Pedestrian Verse.” Though the album’s arrangements are often forgettable, the songs themselves are song, and are likely to bring the band to a great audience. For now, though, you can catch the band supporting the album at Solana Beach’s Belly Up Tavern on March 12. (6/10)