Record Applicant Numbers for 2013

The university received a total of 82,367 applications compared to last year’s total of 75,968 applications. The number of applications submitted continues to grow for UCSD and the UC system each year: Total applications increased by 8.4 percent from 2012 and 16.2 percent from 2011.

With 14,982 total transfer applicants, 201 fewer students applied than the previous year, with a total of 15,183 applications. The number of transfer applicants has fallen steadily since 2010, when it peaked at 17,019, and it has dropped by 16.5 percent overall.

“UC San Diego is a very desirable campus due to the university’s excellent faculty, students, academic programs and incredible national and international reputation,” Assistant Vice Chancellor and Director of Admissions Mae Brown said. “The university’s accomplishments since our founding in 1960 have continued to gain recognition, and this momentum will keep growing in the decades to come.”

UCSD ranked third in the UC system last year behind UCLA and UC Berkeley in the number of total applicants. Data for this year is not yet available from all UC campuses.