Larger Engineering Facility Not Needed

Incidentally, the chancellor said in his interview with the Union Tribune that the current balance in the foundation was roughly $0.5 billion, while the Almanac says $378,506,156. I believe the other figures given by the Almanac are correct.

Basically, I’m saying that the UCs won’t be affected by Gov. Brown’s “trigger.” If Proposition 30 fails, each of the two university systems will lose $250 million.Or rather, I’m saying that it’ll be much worse for the CUs — and devastating for the CCs.

Alexander King, leader of CSU Long Beach, has already drawn the governor’s attention to the disparity between $5,000 Cal grants for CSU students and $9,000 Cal grants for students at Point Loma Nazarene and USD.  My brother’s Apple shares (of which he has scores) are each approaching $700 in value.  

A lawyer at Duane Morris in Washington, who specializes in trade cases, said, “If you want to get relief against Apple, it’s going to have to be in a foreign forum where it doesn’t have the clout or the cachet it has at the ITC or the northern district of California.” 

Simultaneously, retailers have waged a campaign that passed Internet sales tax laws in California, New York, Illinois, among others.  “Now that Amazon has agreed to collect sales taxes in California, the challenge is to persuade Congress to pass a federal law that would set standards for collecting levies in every other state,” says the California Retailers Association President. 

Apple officers skip out of the Cupertino headquarters to Reno, which is in a state without a corporate tax. Private colleges, and for profits in particular, here in the Golden State, underneath our senior U.S. Senator’s skirts are eating out the substance of 23 CSUs and 110 two-year public colleges.

— Richard Thompson
    Alumnus ‘83

$2515
    $5000