CSU Chancellor Announces Resignation

“It has been an incredible honor to serve as chancellor of the California State University during such a dynamic period in the university’s history,” he wrote.  “Over the past decade and a half, the CSU has emerged as a national leader in providing access and support to students from a wide range of socio-economic backgrounds.”

Over the course of Reed’s tenure, student enrollment increased by almost 25 percent. Additionally, Reed presided over the establishment of the 23rd CSU campus at Channel Islands.

Reed received several degrees from The George Washington University including an Ed.D. in Teacher Education. Previously, Reed, 70, headed the State University of Florida system from 1985 until 1998.

UC President Mark Yudof released a statement May 24 commending his CSU-counterpart for the work he accomplished during his tenure.

“California owes a deep debt of gratitude to Chancellor Reed,” Yudof said in the statement. “For close to 15 years now, he has provided the vital California State University system with consistently dynamic and innovative leadership.”

Reed presided over a challenging time for CSU. A series of fee increases and over $1 billion budget cuts have made it difficult to manage the system. When Reed took office in 1998, tuition on CSU campuses was around $1,500. An increase announced in November brought tuition to nearly $6,000.

During the CSU Board of Trustees meeting at Reed’s office in November 2011, police arrested several demonstrators who had attempted to break in to disrupt the meeting.  A large-scale protest had taken place outside the office to protest the tuition fee increases.

Board of Trustees Chair Bob Linscheid praised the chancellor for his tenacity during the recent hard times for CSU.

“Charlie has persevered through the worst budget crisis in the history of California, and has had to deal with deep budget cuts to the CSU,” Linscheid said in a May 24 article published by the CSU Office of Public

Reed’s replacement will be determined by the CSU Board of Trustees.