Six Tritons Garner All-West Region Honors

Selections were based on polls conducted by three outlets the American Baseball Coaches Association, the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association and Daktronics.
    Susdorf, a junior transfer from the University of San Diego, was named to the All-West Region First team by all three organizations for the second straight year. The junior leadoff hitter leads the Tritons in batting average (.393), runs (51), hits (84), stolen bases (25) and slugging percentage (.556).

Sophomores Garrett Tuck and Nick La Face both garnered Regional honors for the first time in their collegiate careers. Tuck — batting in the two-hole for the Tritons — boasts the second best batting average (.362), 77 hits in 213 at-bats.

La Face leads the Tritons in two-baggers with 17. For his performance at the CCAA finals, the catcher/utility was named the tournament’s Most Outstanding Player.

Junior transfer Sam Michaels earned third team honors and ABCA All-West Region Golden Glove recognition.

Senior closer Tony York — named to the All-West Region second team — will leave his mantle as UCSD’s best closer. The senior righthander is 2-1 this season in his 24 appearances, logging a 2.1 ERA — the lowest in the Triton bullpen.

Fellow pitcher junior Ryan Goodbrand was picked for the First Team. The starter finished the season with a perfect 11-0 record, allowing just 82 hits in his 99.1 innings while notching 69 strikeouts.

The UCSD Baseball team ended the 2012 season last weekend, May 16-18 in Keizer, Ore. in the West Region Finals.

With a 33-24 overall record, the Tritons captured their fourth CCAA regular season title as well as their fourth straight CCAA tournament title to qualify for the NCAA Division II National tournament. The third-seeded Tritons were eliminated after three games, falling twice to second-seed Dixie State.