Guest Commentary: Students Should Stay Safe to Keep Sun God Tradition Alive

I wanted to use this space first and foremost to address some safety concerns:

A zero-tolerance policy will be in effect and all UCSD Police, RAs, RSOs and resident deans are strictly enforcing all policies and laws. 

Free water will be available for all attendees who bring a non-glass, reusable, empty water bottle to the festival. Stay hydrated!

Any visibly intoxicated person will be denied entrance to the event and may be detained by the police.

Please be respectful of neighboring residents and university staff, especially around the Marshall Field Box Office on Thursday and Friday.

Your cooperation in following all UCSD policies and remaining in control of your use of alcohol will minimize many potential problems during the event.

We know that the mood is pretty festive during Sun God (I was right there with you all in 2010 — danced my glasses off during Designer Drugs and proceeded to squint through Drake’s performance), but I want to encourage you all to party safely. 

Check the festival website (http://sgf.ucsd.edu/safety) for more useful information. The back cover of the festival guide this year will also include some safety tips and space to list an emergency contact.

It takes a village to plan a Sun God, and this year is no exception. The ASCE staff and interns have been putting countless hours into this event since early Fall Quarter, and I’m incredibly proud of what we have accomplished. We’ve had to work through a number of difficult obstacles this year, and that we were able to overcome them has been an incredible growth experience. I’m not writing this column because we’re stoked on ourselves and want to pat ourselves on the back, but because I’m truly grateful for those involved in the planning process and for the opportunity to work on this festival itself. 

Sun God has been a campus tradition ever since 1983. Since then, it’s changed venues and formats numerous times, and continues to grow bigger and better each and every year. Events of this magnitude and scale at universities almost never last this long, so it’s a testament to the students and university community that we’re able to continue producing this festival every year (and are in good shape to keep going for another 30 years).

The Sun God Festival is arguably the biggest college music and arts festival in the country. It’s something that I’m incredibly proud to be a part of, and incredibly grateful for as a UCSD student. 

When you’re on the field tomorrow, take some time to take it all in and appreciate how special and unique the festival really is. It’s something I’m planning on doing throughout the day.

Have fun out there, and be sure to take care of yourselves and each other.