Council Marks Final Meeting; Honors President Alyssa Wing

Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs Penny Rue congratulated the Council on their hard work and informed them that the Regents will approve new Chancellor Pradeep Khosla next week. 

Rue also recapped events that transpired over the academic year and the actions that university officials have taken in following up, including the phase out of the Transfer Agreement Guarantee program, the end of the DOJ investigation, revisions to the Student Conduct Code and the UCOP tax.

“It’s been good to work with you, it was particularly fun to end with you on a good note on Sunday, for those of you who were at the lipdub,” Rue said.

Associate Vice President of Enterprise Operations Brian McEuen presented the Vice-Chancellor with a Sun God Fluffy on behalf of the A.S. Council.

The Student Workers Collective called the council’s attention to the struggles of campus workers who are understaffed. Presenters from the collective claim that the excessive workload is causing emotional and physical harm to workers. The council immediately reordered business to call a vote on a Resolution in Support of Service Workers and Environmental Services Professionals at UCSD, which passed unanimously.

Congratulations to presentation wizard and Councilmember of the week Sammy Chang and Councilmember of the year A.S. President Alyssa Wing.

Olamide Noah and the External Office gave a presentation entitled “UCSA end of the year progress report” reporting on the great progress that UCSD has had with UCSA in support of the dream act, revamping voter registration at UC campuses, and the Fund the UC campaign, among other efforts.

After some discussion, council passed a resolution against the UCOP tax unanimously with one senator abstaining.

“The end of the day, this is what we’re here to do is to protect that money and to protect our students” Associate Vice President of College Affairs Leonard Bobitt said.

AVP of Enterprise Brian McEuen pointed out to council that if the funds aren’t taken from campus based fees, they would be taken from some other part of the VCSA’s budget.

“Money has to come from somewhere, services are going to be cut whether its from campus based fees or other services from VCSA’s office,” McEuen said.

At the end of their meeting, the council had some fun with resolutions honoring the members of council that are either graduating or will not be returning. The resolutions declared them lifelong members of ASUCSD.

“How do you spell Archuleta?” Council Speaker Courtney Hill asked while amending Michael Jordan to David Archuleta on the list of sponsors for the resolution honoring A.S. President Alyssa Wing.

$2515
    $5000