UCSD Men’s Volleyball Loses Eight Straight Games

Playing on the road, the Tritons managed to take one set from the Cardinal 25-22, but were overpowered offensively by 13-4 overall Stanford. The Tritons dropped the other three sets 21-25, 15-25 and 19-25.

UCSD managed to outblock the Cardinal 10 to 7.5, but fell on the offensive end.

Sophomore outside hitter Carl Eberts and Johl Awerkamp led the Tritons in scoring, both finishing with 14 kills apiece on five errors. Stanford’s Brad Lawson was outstanding on the night, leading all players with 18 kills on just four errors, for an attack percentage of 0.452. 

On Saturday, UCSD was swept by No. 12 University of the Pacific — ninth in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation — for the second time this season. 

Awerkamp led in scoring for the Tritons again with 10 kills on four assists. But Pacific’s Taylor Hughes led all players with 17 kills on just three errors. 

The second set was close, as the Tritons pushed the match into overtime, but fell to Pacific 27-25. But UCSD was blown out in the first and third sets, falling 25-17 and 25-16.

The Tritons now fall to 1-11 in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation, where they compete as the only Division II team. UCSD is ranked last in the 12-team conference. The Tritons will continue their road trip with four more away games.

UCSD will face No. 1 nationally ranked UCLA this Thursday, March 8, followed by a game against UC Santa Barbara on Friday, March 9.