Currents

? UCSD alumni have the eighth highest salary potential of all public schools nationwide, according to a PayScale study released this week. The study also wrote that UCSD graduates with two years of experience average a $48,200 starting salary, and that the average salary for alumni who worked for 15 years exceeds $96,000.

? UCSD will celebrate Dr. Seuss’s 108th birthday on Friday, March 2. A celebration will be held outside of the Geisel Library, and will coincide with the feature film release of “The Lorax,” based on one of Seuss’ books.

? March 1 will be a national day of action to defend public education. There will be mobilization on campus, starting with a walkout at 11:30 a.m. and a rally on Library Walk.

? San Diego County house sales jumped nearly 5 percent from last month, according to La Jolla-based DataQuick. The median price of a home in San Diego County rose by $1,000 to $305,000.

? A stabbing at a house party in Escondido resulted in the death of one man, and the critical injury of another. Police have not made any arrests.

? A noxious odor coming from the women’s bathroom of a Denny’s in Mission Valley on Saturday caused an evacuation of the restaurant. A hazardous material team found traces of chemicals found in pepper spray.

? A Poway attorney who pled guilty to “baby-selling” charges was sentenced this week to five months of federal custody and another nine of house arrest.

? An 11-year-old Long Beach girl died after fighting with a classmate on Friday. The girl died despite an emergency surgery several hours after the fight. She had been feeling unwell after school when she was rushed to a hospital The actual cause of death is unknown and no arrests have been made.