Council Debates CLICS, Fate of Proposed D-I Referendum

This included President Alyssa Wing’s update on the move to Division-I sports. According to Wing, the UC Office of the President has not responded to the technical revisions that were submitted over a week ago.

“Once we get that [approval], hopefully by next week, we can definitely move forward,” she said.

Wing also announced that Wednesday, Feb. 1 will be A.S. Council’s “super-public” meeting, where constituents can come to the meeting early for a council meet-and-greet and enjoy free snacks. (Because starving college students will only sit through an A.S. Council meeting for free food.)

Speaking of food, Vice President of Finance and Resources Kevin Hoang handed out assignments for Council Lunches. Councilmembers are very serious about their bonding time.

Vice President of External Affairs Samer Naji reminded council that the Board of Regents meeting is in a few days, and buses will be leaving tonight and tomorrow morning for students who find protesting to be more important than their time in class. He was also happy to announce that the A.S. Council website was blacked out for the day in protest to SOPA and PIPA. I’m sure many students noticed and were dismayed.

With so much business, Hoang was anxious to know who Councilmember of the Week was, and demanded that Vice President of Student Life Meredith Madnick make the announcement.

“I’m so surprised you asked that question,” she said, and then went on to announce this week’s winner of the glittery sash, Associate Vice President of Diversity Affairs Jesus Romero. Among his accomplishments was his stepping up to the position of Council Speaker after Ryan O’Rear resigned last quarter.

The meeting closed with Wing’s unveiling of the first draft of the new CLICS facility. The layout includes a large lecture hall in the middle, an entryway with standing work bars similar to those in Price Center East and three study areas to hold approximately 130 seats.

Council debated whether students would value having the rooms set up in a three-tiered noise level system, so that one room allows open talking, one room is quiet talking and one room is eerily silent. It might also be possible to make the three study spaces into one larger study space to allow approximately 150 seats and a consistent, open noise level similar to what students could expect at the old CLICS.

“There will be a tribute to [the old] CLICS,” Wing said. “[What CLICS was] won’t be lost in this building. CLICS will live on!”

While there were mixed feelings about whether the extra seats or the noise control would be the best value for students, A.S. Council all snapped in agreement to the suggestion of the addition of hydration stations throughout the building.