Tritons Sink Opposition

The UCSD Men’s and Women’s Swimming and Diving teams began the new season by sweeping Claremont-Mudd-Scripps, as 17 different Tritons won their individual races.

In last year’s tremendous 2010 season, UCSD’s men took second at the NCAA National Championships while the women’s team took third.

UCSD returned to the pool last weekend, Oct. 24 for its annual Blue vs. Gold meet, clocking quick times typical of its swimming and diving program.

On Saturday, Oct. 29 the Tritons took command of the field against Claremont-Mudd-Scripps, a Division III team that competes in the Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.

Although the swimming and diving teams saw a minor change in management — the Tritons are now coached by former assistant coaches Corrie Falcon and Matt Macedo, who replaced Scott McGihon. UCSD’s top swimmers, seniors Matt Herman and Alex Henley, are still in the roster.

Herman was the 2011 national champion in the 1000- and 1650-yard freestyle events, and All-American Henley is a three-time NCAA national title holder.

The two demolished the field on Saturday.

Henley won three events on Saturday, taking the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 1:55.73, the 200-yard fly with a time of 2:05.78 and the 200-yard backstroke in 2:05.77.

Herman won the 1000-yard freestyle in 9:35.58.

The Tritons also displayed a number of young Tritons, who also faired well in the meet. Sophomore Alex Merrill finished first in the 100 free with a time of 47.33, as well as in the 200 free in 1:43.01.

Sophomore Nick Korth, who won three individual events in the Blue vs. Gold meet, took first in the 100 breaststroke.

Freshman Jessica Norgard finished the 1000 free in 10:38.81 and freshman Dane Stassi finished first in the 200 fly with a time of 1:48.97 for the men.

Collectively, the UCSD men’s team beat the Stags by a score of 177 to 111, while the women beat the Athenas 175 to 112.

The Tritons’ next meet is scheduled for Friday, Nov. 4, at UCSB. The meet will be a tough test for UCSD, as nine Gauchos have qualified for the 2012 Olympic Trials.