Tritons Split Their Weekend Matches

The teams have played each other twice in conference match-ups already and split the games, in addition to garnering similar results from tournaments this season.

The teams met at Loyola and despite a quick start by the Tritons, the Lions pulled away at the end to take a 14-10 win and take the advantage in the Western Water Polo Association standings.

The match started off well for the Tritons, who took a two-point lead in the first quarter.

Both teams traded goals, but senior driver Graham Saber and junior utility John Butler scored consecutive goals to take a 4-2 first quarter lead.

The Tritons were on a roll with Saber scoring in the first minute of the second quarter to make it 5-2, but the Triton defense collapsed after that, as UCSD gave up four consecutive goals.

With just over three minutes left to play in the first half, UCSD was looking at a 6-5 deficit.

But the Tritons managed to score a goal after an LMU ejection to tie the match.      

The Lions scored first in the second half, although the Tritons answered immediately with a goal from junior utility Brian Donohoe.

But the Lions went on another scoring stretch and wound up with a four-point lead before Donohoe could stop the onslaught in the fourth quarter.

Down three early in the fourth, the Tritons couldn’t muster the energy or resolve to hold up against their rivals, giving up another two points before mounting any response and dropping the game 14-10.   

The Tritons were in much better form on Saturday, when they broke their four-game losing streak.

Against Occidental, they jumped to an early 5-0 lead in the first quarter and only gave up four points the whole game, silencing the Tigers 16-4.

The win was a morale booster, but it was also a good chance for the Tritons to refocus and prepare for the rest of the schedule.

The Tritons have a stretch of home matches coming up with five of their next six matches at Canyonview Pool. Their next opponent is WWPA leader, No. 12 UC Davis Friday, Oct. 28, at 6 p.m.

$2515
    $5000