UCSD and UC Davis Only UCs to Waitlist Transfer Students

UCSD is waitlisting 1,500 transfer students for the 2011-12 year, according to new admissions data.

This is the first year that UC schools have used a waitlist for transfer students; of these schools, UCSD and UC Davis are the only universities implementing this change.

Approximately 7,196 transfer students were admitted for the 2011-12 school year, with the final decisions made on May 1. Students have until May 15 to state if they want to be considered for the waitlist process. Waitlisted students will find out if they are admitted no later than June 10. Transfer students who have been accepted have until June 1 to submit a statement of intent.

UC Interim Undergraduate Admissions Director Pamela Burnett said that admissions offices have difficulty projecting the correct number of students they need to admit to hit enrollment targets. UC schools must wait for admitted students to make their decisions before taking any more students. The decision to enroll at a campus is affected by the economy and the admissions offers the students have received.

“The university’s steep budget reductions mean that campuses are operating without much tolerance to differences between actual enrollments and targeted enrollments,” Burnett said.

The system for admitting waitlisted students is the same as the one used to admit students. It is a comprehensive review of the student’s application that includes factors such as academic achievement, educational environment, low family income and personal challenges.

“The same standards apply,” UCSD spokesperson Christine Clark said. “It’s not different for students on the

waitlist.”

Assistant Vice Chancellor of Admissions Mae Brown said UCSD is undecided over how many transfers it will take off the waitlist.

“Those students on the waitlist have not been offered admission, however, if we have space, will offer admission after the June 1 deadline,” Brown said. “Those admitted have received a letter congratulating them on their admission to the university.”

All students with a Transfer Admission Guarantee — which gives admission to those who have completed core courses and meet GPA requirements — were admitted.