Winter Comedy Event Rescheduled for This Friday

Winter Triton Festival — the first large-scale comedy event to take place at UCSD — will happen this Friday, March 11 at 8 p.m. without original headliner Donald Glover.

“I know there was concern over losing Donald and replacing him with two guys people haven’t heard of,” Associate Vice President of Concerts and Events Brian Wong said. “But there’s a lot of funny people out there — give people a shot, come out, enjoy it [and] see it for yourself.”

After the A.S. Concerts and Events office announced on Feb. 2 that the event would not take place on Feb. 5, as was originally schedule, the office announced on March 3 that the event was rescheduled to the last day of Winter Quarter’s Week 10. The office also rebranded the event as TGIO:WTF (Thank God it’s Over: Winter Triton Festival).

“There are things we just can’t get out of,” Wong said. “Regardless of the contract, NBC has a lot more buying power than UCSD.”

The performers replacing Glover are comedians Nick Thune and Dan Levy.

Thune has performed on ‘The Tonight Show,” had a special on Comedy Central and appeared on “Late Night With Jimmy Fallon.” He has also played parts in the films“Knocked Up” and “Extract.”

Levy has hosted shows with MTV, College Humor and Red Bull. He has a role in the upcoming “A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas 3D.” Currently, he is on tour with comedian Aziz Ansari, who is on “Parks & Recreation.”

“I am excited about Nick Thune, Dan Levy and Dat Phan,” Wong said. “I think it’s going to be a good show.”

Wong said he reached out to many comedy agents, including Glover’s agent, to find new performers for the comedy event.

Media liaison Oliver Zhang said many of the artists pursued for Friday’s lineup were unavailable, as the event date was too soon.

The show will be held in the Price Center West Ballroom since the venue can hold up to 1,000 people.

There has been some controversy over the date change being the week before finals.

“Yes, it is the week before finals, and honestly it should be fun,” Wong said. “A nice relaxing break before finals week.”

The tickets for the original show will be honored at the door. If previous tickets are lost, students can visit the box office to obtain a new one. Concerts and Events is releasing additional tickets for individuals who did not buy them the first time. A ticket is required for entry, but it does not guarantee admission.

According to Zhang, the ASCE office did not exceed its original budget of $31,800 — an amount funded entirely by A.S. Council’s mandate reserves.

$2515
$5000