Club Update: Ice Hockey team Much Improved From Last Season

CLUB HOCKEY — UCSD Hockey Club wrapped up a successful season in January, finishing with a 7-5 overall record. The mark is a vast improvement over last season, when the team had only one win.

The Tritons started the season off right with back-to-back wins against UC Irvine. On Oct. 9, UCSD won 10-3 in the first game of the season. Joe Digiuseppe scored the first Triton goal of the season, and led the team’s scorers with six goals. Jimmy Kloda made two goals and had five assists. Forward Kit Wong and captain Mike Frederick added one goal apiece. The Tritons picked up a 5-1 win on the same day with two goals from Frederick. Wong, Kolda, and Digiuseppe all scored one goal apiece.

In an away game against College of the Canyons on Oct. 16, UCSD suffered a beat down with a final score of 15-1. Wong scored the lone Triton goal.

The Tritons then had a home-and-home series with Chapman University on Oct. 22 and 23, with UCSD winning the two games by scores of 8-3 and 6-3, respectively.

“We dominated them at home and [their] home” defenseman Tommy Tuohy said.

On Nov. 5, Cal State Northridge beat the Tritons, 5-2. Kloda and Wong each scored once. “They’re a good team, we lost,” Tuohy said.

On Nov. 12, the Tritons had perhaps their first close game of the season against UCLA. The game was back-and-forth throughout, but UCLA pulled away at the end to win 6-4. Wong scored twice, and Digiuseppe and forward Kyle McNomara each added a goal.

In their final games before winter break, the Tritons faced Santa Rosa Junior College on Nov. 13 and 14. UCSD won the first game 2-1, as Frederick and Digiuseppe each scored to break Santa Rosa’s unbeaten record.

The Tritons lost the second game by a score of 4-2, with forward Norman West scoring both goals.

Coming out of winter break, the Tritons were able to avenge their early-season loss to UCLA by beating the Bruins twice. On Jan. 7, the Tritons won 3-1, then came out with an impressive 7-3 victory the next day.

The Tritons lost their last game 7-2 against UC Santa Barbara on Jan. 16, with goals from West and Frederick.

“The season went well do to the leadership of [Captian] Mike Frederick and Jimmy Kloda, and the solid play of incoming transfers and freshman,” forward Mike Tietsort said.

The improvement in record represented a huge step forward for the club.

“UCSD is building a strong base,” goalie Ryan Corriveay said, “[It’s] the best team I’ve ever had.”

Overall, the team is young, and has high hopes for the future.

“They should have a strong team [next year], especially due to goalie Ryan [Corriveay] and solid defense coming back,” Tietsort said.

Hockey Club is building up to a bright future, and the next season will be one to watch with the team returning in October.

Readers can contact Jessica Traynor at [email protected]

$2515
    $5000