Council Starts Quarter Without Delay, Appoints Senators

Last night was the first A.S. meeting of the quarter and the first A.S. meeting I have ever attended.  Despite being warned that meetings end at ungodly hours, I was shocked to be in an out in around an hour.

AVP Athletics Pauline Nuth announced the council is organizing a community-building event to improve relationships with athletes. She informed members of the Triton Jam rally on Jan. 11 and also of  Spirit Night, which will occur on Feb. 5 for the men’s and women’s basketball games.

VP Student Life Kristina Pham said the lineup for the Winter Triton Festival comedy event on Feb. 5 (W.T.F.) will be announced at the end of this week.

Campuswide Senator Victor Flores-Osorio shared concerns the Course Materials and Fees Committee had with new regulations on course material fees presented by UC President Mark G. Yudof. These included confusion over tricky wording in the regulations and how course material fees affect financial aid.

Warren College President Alyssa Wing introduced the freshman senators appointed last quarter.

All-Campus Transfer Association Chair Adam Powers ended his two-year term as transfer senator; Samer Naji and Jacob Wisdom succeeded him. The two were appointed during closed session, when councilmembers debated when to appoint the new transfer senators.

Wing gave an update on the College Council Funding Committee looking into a 1985 referendum, which gave funding to college councils on a per-student basis. In a meeting today with an A.S. veteran from 1985 who witnessed the passing of referendum, Wing hopes to find some answers.

Campuswide Senator Elizabeth Elman gave a video presentation on how electronic consumption habits — specifically, the use of unsustainable electronics that have an 18-month life — in the United States affect the rest of the world.

Several councilmembers chimed in during the presentation and suggested websites with more information on the issue. It was a welcome surprise to see councilmembers aware of and involved in environmental issues.

AVP Academic Affairs Desiree Prevo said the CP committee did not approve of the technology fee proposed last quarter because the costs were too high.

Campuswide Senator Michael Raimondi said there will be a Greek Housing Initiative Committee meeting during Week Three. Before then, he will meet with college councils and deans.

Powers brought up the issue of councilmember accountability in meeting deadlines.

This week’s meeting was fairly tame, though I’ve heard that’s not always the case. I walked out of the meeting surprised by its briefness (meetings for Sixth College Council run longer than last night’s), but happy to be out all the same.

$2515
$5000