Golf Comes Home From Tourney With Mixed Results

The UCSD golf team left behind the rain and disappointing overall team results in Washington, but returned with high hopes for the team’s promising newcomers.

The Tritons competed at the Western Washington Invitational on Sept. 27-28, with UCSD coming in 11th out of 15 schools competing. Freshman Jacob Williams led the Tritons individually — placing 7th overall — while senior captain Keith Okasaki finished tied for 45th.The team ended with a score of 891 in the three-round tournament.

“It rained the entire time we were there, and we had a few bad breaks in the rain,” coach Mike Wydra said. “But with Keith [Okasaki] playing so well and Jacob [Williams] coming through, we just need to find a few other people who are on their game at the same time.”

Williams finished the first round with a total of 69, shooting par on the back nine, then catching fire when he moved to the front nine. He finished with four birdies and an eagle on the round. The freshman scored a 76 in the second round and a 70 in the third round. Williams ended with a one-under-par 215 for the tournament — good enough to place seventh.

“He has potential,” Okasaki said. “It’s a good place to start.”

Okasaki had the second best score for UCSD, finishing 10 strokes behind Williams with a score of 225. He won the Northern California Golf Association Valley Amateur Championship on Sept. 20-21 and said he was expecting to do better in the tournament.

“I didn’t have the game I needed to compete up there,” Okasaki said.

The top individuals for the tournament were Western Washington’s Brian Barhanovich and Sonoma State’s Patrick Bauer, who each scored a 9-under par 207.

For the Tritons, sophomore Justin Gabbert finished one stroke behind Okasaki with a 226, while freshman David Smith carded a score of 228.

Although the Tritons are off to a rocky start, Okasaki has high hopes for the rest of the season.

“We’re pretty young, but we did bring in a group of pretty good guys,” Okasaki said. “I expect us to do better than the last couple years. I think we have a chance to do something well and hopefully we can take advantage of that.”

The Tritons will return to action for the InterWest Wildcat Classic on Oct. 11-12.

$2515
    $5000