A.S. Council Begins New Year With a Record One-Hour Meeting

A new year, a new council, a new agenda. Here I was on the first Wednesday of the year, sitting amongst a new council almost as excited as I was.

As I glanced over the Order of Business, my heart made a little flutter of joy — it seemed that I would be out in time to catch my Wednesday night TV shows.

Public input consisted of a promotional talk from Triton Television, complete with a video depicting the mayhem of the All Campus Dance 2010.

As the masses of inebriated students flashed across the screen, the lighthearted mood surrounding council this Wednesday night quickly spread.

Warren College Senator Kevin Hoang gave a talk about council unity while Marshall College Senator, Thao Pham drew attention to the new college banners that adorned the Marshall campus in celebration of its 40th anniversary.

VP Finance Andrew Ang announced that the budget would be unveiled soon and VP External Affairs Michael Lam urged Council to get voter registration to their respective colleges.

To rekindle our hopes of any sort of school spirit here at UCSD, Pauline Nuth, AVP Athletic Relations, announced that news 1,500 students were present at the Welcome Week water polo event, at which our water polo team happened to win by a landslide. What a novel concept for a school— who’d have thought that the moral support and school spirit would help our teams?

Then Grant White introduced himself as the Student Affirmative Action Committee representative. Mac Zilber, Warren College Senator, gave a presentation regarding the underrepresentation of transfer students on Council. He teamed up with Transfer Senator Adam Powers to present council with a constitutional amendment that would add an additional transfer senator, thus correcting the imbalanced representation that became an issue with the increasing number of admitted transfer students.

A.S. President Wafa Ben Hassine announced that council would be extending their family within the upcoming with numerous new appointments taking place.

AVP Diversity Affairs Alyssa Peace brought to attention the spray-painted stencils that have sprung up around Peterson and Center Hall. These stencils, according to Peace, have caused several young women around campus to express concern regarding the disrespectful messages that the stencils bring. She urged council to stay on the lookout for any harmful material that could be circling around campus.

As I looked down at the agenda, I saw that the list was dwindling. Soon enough, there would be nothing more to address. I wasn’t prepared for this shocking revelation.

What would I do with this unexpected boon of a Wednesday night?

After all, council members made it through roll call just before Geisel rang out, announcing the time at 7 p.m. Here’s to hoping this will be repeated next week. Cheers, San Diego. I’m out.