Druthers

“PARANORMAL ACTIVITY”
NOW PLAYING

The same low-budget freak show that got its start as an underground “request this film to be shown in your town” has finally arrived in theaters everywhere — and just in time for Halloween. In case you’ve been living under a rock, this “Blair Witch”-style horror revolves around a young couple that discovers a supernatural presence in their newly purchased home. In hopes of catching the haunting on film, the pair sets up surveillance cameras around their house — and we get to witness the frightening events unfold. Not impressed? Did I mention they live in San Diego? (JB)

“THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW”
LA PALOMA THEATRE, ENCINITAS
Oct. 31, 12 a.m. / $10

La Paloma Theatre in North County carries on its annual Halloween tradition this weekend with a special screening of 1975 classic “The Rocky Horror Picture Show.” Based on Richard O’Brien’s musical, the film follows a sing-songy pair of lovebirds (Barry Bostwick and Susan Sarandon) who find themselves stranded at a mad scientist’s castle. There, the two meet a peculiar group of characters, all devoted to head of the household Dr. Frank-N-Furter (Tim Curry), from the planet of Transsexual. As the questionable professional helps the couple reveal their hidden desires, they are forced to examine their true sexuality — a true-blue shoutout to the sexual liberation movement of the ’70s. Unforgettable song-and-dance numbers will spring to life at La Paloma, where a live cast promises to spruce the sex scenes. (JB)

“SAW VI”
NOW PLAYING

Just in case your stomach couldn’t make it past the first “Saw” installment, here’s an update: Jigsaw (Tobin Bell), the series’ first red-bowed torturer, was killed in “III,” autopsied in “IV” and is somehow still kicking — ahem, rolling — in “VI.” While it’s unlikely that new fans will be recruited by the latest, cult followers will undoubtedly dig the revamped collection of torture machines, puzzles and toys. This time around, though, selected victims are mortgage lenders and health-insurance adjusters rather than people who simply don’t appreciate life. It’s all about timeliness, right? Heh. (JB)

DAY OF THE DEAD RIDE
DOWNTOWN
Oct. 31 / $FREE

Kick off your Eve bright and early near the San Diego harbor at the Day of the Dead Ride, which winds through rustic cemeteries in downtown San Diego and Sherman Heights.. Meet up at the County Administration Building — located at 1600 Pacific Coast Highway — for the 25-mile ride, which will undoubtedly work up your appetite for a lunch with your fellow costumed bikers at the local farmer’s market after the long course. (JS)

MONSTER BASH
GASLAMP QUARTER
Oct. 31 / $30

Hit up San Diego’s Gaslamp quarter — more specifically, at the intersection of Seventh St. and Market St. — for the city’s biggest Halloween party of the year: Monster Bash. The massive block party features 10 local DJs and three bands, performing on three stages throughout the night. If you’re planning to go all out costume-wise, enter the contest and you might just go home with a $3,000 cash prize. A ticket buys entrance to over 30 bars in the area, so there’s a good chance you’ll need to take the free designated-driver shuttle home. (JS)

$2515
$5000