Tour Recruits Potential Student Regents

UCSD will be the first stop of the Student Regent Recruitment Tour this Friday.

UCLA student Regent D’Artagnan Scorza and UC Santa Barbara student Regent-designate Jesse Bernal will stop at each of the 10 UC campuses to meet with students and administrators to recruit the next student regent to serve on the UC Board of Regents and discuss the application process as well as student issues with students and administrators.

The tour will end at UCLA on Feb. 19.

One student regent serves every year on the 26-member UC Board of Regents, the body that under Article IX, Section 9 of the California Constitution has “full powers of organization and governance” over the university, subject only to very specific areas of legislative control.

A position created in 1975, the student regent’s role on the board is to directly represent the needs of students and voice concerns about issues most affecting students such as tuition, diversity and sustainability practices.

The first year of the student regent’s two-year term on the board is spent as a nonvoting “regent designate” before assuming full voting membership the following year.

The student regent spends both years attending all regents’ meetings, which occur six times a year every other month and last for two days.

The deadline for applying to become the 2010-11 student regent is Feb. 19, 2009.