Tacos el Gordo

Daniel Caddell/Guardian

Tacos el Gordo in Chula Vista is an authentic, all-hours Mexican restaurant. While the drive is long, it just might be your only option when you’re craving cow brain tacos.

Tacos el Gordo’s menu and selection is notably different from most Americanized Mexican food joints. If you’re looking for a California burrito, this is the wrong place. Along with the typical choices of pork and beef tacos, which all cost no more than $2 apiece, Tacos el Gordo serves up pork stomach, beef shoulder, cow tongue, and cow brain tacos.

Typically, you’ll need to order a few tacos for a full meal. They’re authentic TJ street tacos which means they’re small but fresh, and the ingredients are simple — no fries here.

Additionally, the shop’s slightly more expensive option is the mula, which, with two tortillas — one on bottom and one on top, and taco ingredients with melted cheese in the middle, still comes to less than $4.

The restaurant is clean, and the kitchen’s grill is openly displayed so that all food preparations are visible. On Fridays and Saturdays, Gordo’s is open until 4 a.m.

Tacos El Gordo
    689 H Street
    Chula Vista, CA, 91910
    (619) 691-8848

$2515
    $5000