Going Green Threatens Food Quality

Dear Editor,

This school year has brought a sustainable approach to our growing green university. Visiting my old residence last year at the Sixth College residence halls, I was amazed at the new carpet and furniture made from recycled material, the low-flow showerheads and the energy-efficient lighting. We have indeed taken one big step into the future. I applaud all those who contributed to making us green.

A few nights ago I visited my favorite dining hall, Sierra Summit. Expecting its signature chicken patty sandwich to be as good as always, I was deeply disappointed when I found that the bread bun took three-fourths of the sandwich, while there lay a sliver of chicken in between. It’s not just sandwiches or Summit — it’s all the dining halls. Visiting other dining halls, I’ve seen the increase in meal prices, limit in variety and the downgrade in the quality of food.

I’ve only been living in Sixth College Apartments for about a week, but I’ve already seen the change. Freshmen now receive 2,750 meal points, which would be more than enough for food, even with the increase in prices. But that leaves sophomores with 2,100 points and the mindset to conserve and cook on their own since dining-hall dinners cost $8 or $9 per dish. Does serving food with plastics made from plants and using Fair Trade products really cost us that much more?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for the green revolution and doing my part. But I know I’m not alone when I ask: Does going green really limit the ability of dining halls to serve good quality food?

— Amina Ahmad
    Sixth College sophomore