Spotlight on Che Cafe

To call the Che Cafe alternative would be a bit of an understatement. As UCSD continues on an endless crusade of expansion and demolition, the Che remains one of the only historically unique spots left on campus. Established in 1980, the cafe is run by a “”nonhierarchical worker’s collective,”” serving all-vegan fare and hosting live shows to create an environment that promotes social change and a strong sense of community.

With such a rich tradition, it seems only fitting that bands gracing the Che’s innards are as unique and distinguished as the place itself. This Friday, Jan. 25, the Che presents main act Kite Flying Society with The Vision of a Dying World and Old Man Hands as support.

Kite Flying Society’s debut album Where is the Glow? garnered attention both within the blogosphere and at the San Diego Music Awards, where the group won Best New Artist. The album, which is available at most local record shops, can best be described as a synthesis between contemporary pop and ’60s beach folk, capturing a bit of Brian Wilson with a more modern, Shinsy feel: “”6000 Shipwrecks”” combines echoing vocals with a catchy Fender Rhodes line that keeps the song light and whimsical.

The band does sound much younger than its members are – not to say that one can ever be too old to make naive pop, but the music’s lightness suggests the band members are departing from their teenage years instead of their mid 20s. Of course, this has no bearing on an album that succeeds in both charming and satisfying its listeners. (Just be sure to watch out for the Cher-like auto-tune that detracts from the otherwise great “”6000 Love and Seagulls.””)

The other billed artists are also San Diego locals, both with solid support for KFS. The Vision of a Dying World create a sparse sound with acoustic – and the occasional electric – guitar, again conjuring the Shins, but then departing into the slow, methodic nature of their own melodies. Old Man Hands’ music slows down the momentum even further, with somber lyrics and down-tempo tracks that are both sincere and serene. Let’s just hope that on Friday, we won’t have drifted off to sleep before Kite Flying Society gets to take the stage.