Tritons Barrel Toward Playoffs

Ever since the UCSD women’s volleyball team fell twice earlier in the season, the Tritons have made a torrid run, winning 12 straight matches, their last two against Cal State Monterey Bay and Cal State Dominguez Hills.

Jason Campa/Guardian
    Sophomore outside hitter Rebecca Bailey contributed 14 kills in the Tritons’ three-game sweep over Cal State Monterey Bay on Oct. 28. The No. 11 Tritons have two games remaining before the NCAA Division II Pacific Regionals Nov. 9-12.

The team improved its overall record to 21-2 and its conference record to 16-2, only one game behind Cal State San Bernardino in California Collegiate Athletic Association play.

The Triton seniors showed why they will be missed in the last home game on Oct. 28, as they sent Cal State Monterey Bay packing, sweeping the Sea Otters 30-21, 30-17, 30-24.

“The seniors have been the backbone to this team and we’re going to miss them a lot,” head coach Tom Black said. “One of the strengths of this team all year has been our depth. There’s a lot of talent waiting on the bench.”

Jason Campa/Guardian
    Senior outside hitter Nicole Courtney added 12 kills and 12 digs in the win over the Otters, who were outhit by the Tritons .317-.087 in the lopsided match.

UCSD jumped out 7-3 after a freshman Sylvia Schmidt kill and never relinquished the lead. The advantage was stretched to 16-10 on back-to-back aces by Halvorsen. The advantage reached up to 10 before junior opposite Amber Ries put away the 30-21 game-winning kill.

The Tritons reached top form in game two as they opened up a quick 14-6 lead on back-to-back aces by senior outside hitter Nicole Courtney, who also recorded 12 digs and 12 kills on the night. UCSD recorded the final six of its team blocks in this game.

Junior outside hitter Rebecca Bailey played a pivotal role in the final five points as she recorded two blocks and the two kills that finished the Sea Otters off in game two, 30-17.

Cal State Monterey Bay didn’t just roll over as it battled UCSD in game three. The score remained tight with the Otters taking an 18-14 lead, forcing Black to use his final timeout.

“So much of it comes down to our own execution,” Black said. “It was really about getting our focus back and we let them off the hook. I told them to get back on our game.”

Kills by Bailey and Schmidt out of the timeout brought UCSD within two points. Schmidt then served up three points, giving the Tritons the 20-19 advantage.

Cal State Monterey Bay then pulled within two at 25-23, but UCSD’s hitting power was just too strong as the Tritons recorded four straight kills to take command at 29-23. Senior middle blocker Brianna Koche finished off the seniors’ final home game with one of her 14 kills to win the third game, 30-24.

Senior setter Kristin Halvorsen and senior defensive specialist Lauren Chiodini also played dominant roles in the game and contributed with 48 assists and seven digs, respectively.

UCSD showed no signs of homesickness, downing Cal State Dominguez Hills 30-14, 30-20, 30-22 on Oct. 25.

In game one, the Tritons exploded to an 11-5 advantage before pushing it to 19-8 on a block by Koche and Ries. The team opened up strong and then cruised to the 30-14 win.

Cal State Dominguez Hills kept game two a little closer at the midway point, trailing UCSD 15-11. But it was all Tritons from that point on.

The team used kills by Courtney, Koche and Bailey to go on a 6-0 run, making the score 25-16. Kills by Ries and Bailey finished off the Toros in game two, 30-20.

UCSD scored nine of the first 12 points, taking a 9-3 advantage. The lead stretched to 10 points, 23-13, on back-to-back kills by Bailey. The Tritons finished the sweep on a four-point run, capped off by sophomore outside hitter Casey Wilson’s kill.

The team finishes the regular season at Humboldt State on Nov. 3 and at Sonoma State on Nov. 4.

The Tritons are also eyeing the NCAA Division II Pacific regional tournament on Nov. 9-12.

Black noted that the team’s preparation for the postseason will begin much earlier in the week off the court.

“Honestly, the key [to these last games] is how well we take care of ourselves this Monday through Wednesday,” Black said. “We have to eat and sleep right because if we feel like crap then we won’t perform well.”