Mann Back Into the Fold as Council Races to Finish

An Olympic-caliber race to finish off the year’s leftover business marked the final A.S. Council meeting of spring quarter, with a year’s record of 30 items of new business taking center stage.

Contracts, resolutions, committee appointments and finance bylaw changes abounded in the meeting, which, despite the massive agenda, still managed to finish within a quicker timeframe than last week.

All of the appointments to various committees and boards went uncontested, with the exception of former Vice President External Kevin Mann, whose nomination to the Student Funding Organization Advisory Board failed in internal committee by a 4-5-2 vote. Mann, who resigned from his earlier post after allegations of fiscal mismanagement, was highly contested as a candidate to a board that deals primarily with student funds.

“I don’t think we should be appointing anyone to a funding advisory board that couldn’t manage money in his own office,” said interim Revelle College Senior Senator Rachel Corell, who was against Mann’s selection.

On the other hand, some senators believed that the past should remain in the past, and stressed that the different duties of the two positions made Mann a palatable candidate.

“Whatever happened in the past should not be taken into account, since these are very different situations,” John Muir College Freshman Senator Jonathan Hicken said.

After debating whether or not Mann’s past experience should even be a part of the selection criteria, council opinion grew more and more one-sided. Ultimately, when brought to a vote, Mann was approved with only two or three discernable “nays.”

The second hot-button issue of the evening was a resolution committing the A.S. Council to support campuswide implementation of fair-trade coffee products in all UCSD facilities.

The proposal drew criticism from some councilmembers who saw the motion as too vast and difficult to implement.

“We need to think about humanity,” said Vice President External Eddie Herrera, the sponsor of the amendment.

However, some senators did not see the changes as feasible.

“We can’t possibly have the auditing power to do this,” said interim Sixth College Senior Senator Matt Corrales in regards to a clause in the resolution that would ultimately demand that all campus vendors offer fair-trade options.

However, it was clear that the intention behind the resolution was well-received by the council.

Although the previous council passed a resolution last November encouraging the purchase of fair-trade products, many supporters argued that the resolution was not strong enough.

“This resolution is explicit to the T of what we want in a fair-trade university,” said One Earth One Justice Representative Viraf Soroushia, who brought the issue to the council.

Ultimately, the council agreed with Soroushian, and approved the resolution 12-5-1.