Co-op Agreement Remains Unsigned

Although administration officials and A.S. councilmembers were sure that the lease deal for the university’s co-ops was virtually complete, none of the four stores — the Food Co-op, Groundwork Books, the General Store Co-op and Che Cafe — have signed the agreement.

The university and co-ops have been negotiating for two years, after campus officials ordered specific changes to the Master Space Agreement — a contract that leased the facilities and made separate deals with the individual co-ops, the A.S. Council and the Graduate Student Association. The new changes include extension of renewal periods and the addition of new language regarding alterations and repairs. The co-ops have since been operating on month-to-month leases.

The new contract gives five two-year renewal options to the co-ops, and requires A.S. Council and GSA certification of the co-ops’ effectiveness at each two-year period, according to Kate Pillon, Thurgood Marshall College senior senator and A.S. representative to the negotiations.

Last week, Pillon said that the agreement was merely awaiting signatures from the co-ops.

Since then, however, A.S. councilmembers and co-op officials found that addenda were missing from the proposed agreement, including a map of what will be considered co-op facilities, Pillon said. Those documents have since been submitted, and the co-ops are expected to sign off on the agreement.

The GSA approved the document pending small grammatical corrections. The A.S. Council also approved the document at its latest meeting, although no co-ops have signed the document yet.

“We have dual responsibilities,” Pillon said. “We need to have a disconnect from the co-ops because we have a responsibility to students as a whole to the students. I don’t think it’s necessary for the co-ops to sign it for us to vote on the document.”

Co-op members, who held a meeting on March 15, refused to comment, and said that their statement would be released next week.

Readers can contact Charles Nguyen at [email protected].