EDITOR’S SOAPBOX: Moving from copy to management to chief

This wasn’t my plan, nor my goal. I haven’t wanted this since day one.

When I graduated from high school and made the transition into college, my philosophy — which I now regret — was simple: Put in the minimum amount of work necessary to get the job done. In all facets of my life. I know that’s disconcerting, especially from the new editor in chief of the official newspaper of UCSD, but it was merely an overcompensation for an exhausting high school career, with an especially strenuous senior year, during which I undertook my first venture into chiefdom, for my high school newspaper.

I’d love to tell you that I came to UCSD with aspirations of becoming editor in chief once again, to further my fluency in journalistic procedure. That I’ve wanted this job since the day I first walked into the office. But, as I previously mentioned, it’s just not the case. Unlike others currently on staff, I did not come to UCSD with journalism on the mind. To the contrary, I was initially reluctant to enlist in the ranks of the newspaper, fearing I would become a one-trick pony in a two-trick world.

But, on the recommendation of my brother, a former associate news editor, I joined the Guardian anyway, without fully realizing what exactly a Guardian membership entailed.

I started as a copy reader, hired for my previous experience with AP style and all-around, borderline-disturbing love for editing. When the copy editor position opened up the spring quarter of my freshman year, it was a moment of truth — the time had come for me to decide whether the Guardian was something I wanted to pursue further or whether my contributions to the paper would remain a $6.75-per-hour commitment two days a week. I chose the former, marking the death of my minimalist phillsophy, and sending me off on my personal Guardian odyssey, incognizant of what lay ahead.

My journey most recently led me to become the managing editor, a position that I held this past year. Not only did I make strides in finding the right balance of time between schoolwork and Guardian, but I also discovered the true meaning of hard work. The personal sense of accomplishment felt when the product you helped create is released to the masses. The responsibility of the newspaper to educate those masses in as neutral a manner as possible. It is this responsibility that has instilled passion in me and it is the primary reason why I chose to continue on as editor in chief.

Though I might not have wanted to be editor in chief when I first walked into the office, I did know there was something special about the Guardian. My first introduction to the paper came in the form of a big, bald man by the name of Rinaldo, the former Hiatus editor, who gave me my application and came to symbolize the dynamic of the Guardian office that kept me going all these years.

As an organization, the paper serves as a medium in which unique people are bonded by a similar interest in journalism and a common goal to produce the best product possible. These are people with whom I wouldn’t have necessarily spent time otherwise, not because there is anything wrong with them or because they aren’t incredible individuals, but because we travel in different circles, and without the Guardian there would be no overlap. I am grateful for that overlap and the opportunity to work with all those I have over the years.

Clayton, you’re an impossible act to follow, and I can only hope to meet the new standard you have set for the Guardian. And Mather, there’s so much to say about you that I feel ridiculous trying to condense it to a sentence or two. But, there are few people in my life who are as intelligent and driven as you. Your mere presence makes me a better person. Thank you for the past seven years.

To the rest of the staff leaving us — Cynthia, Matt, Hans, Travis, Anna, Lisa, Sarah, Jia and the innumerable writers and photographers — it has been my privilege to work with you. Your efforts have made all the difference this year and they have not gone unappreciated. Good luck next year with all your ventures. I have no doubts of your future success in this world.

To our readers, the Guardian is nothing without you. You read our stories, you keep us honest, and ultimately, you embody our staff. I encourage you to contact me at [email protected] with any and all questions, comments or concerns you may have. I look forward to hearing from you.

To the continuing and incoming staff, get excited about next year. It is only through true passion in its staff that the Guardian can thrive. I will do my best to show you the way.