What to do for

Motivated, accomplished and hardworking: that is how a middle school student perceives a UCSD undergraduate. But to the sixth-graders at local public school Muirlands Middle School, UCSD students are more than admirable people: They’re also friends.

“[Six-graders] are at an age when they’re starting to get into the world,” said Lori Hwangbo, John Muir College junior and co-director of the UCSD mentoring program Friends Understanding Needs (F.U.N.). “People start to influence them their first year of junior high, and we want to be positive role models.”

Established in 1989, the student-run mentoring program teaches UCSD students how to communicate and be big brothers and sisters to “at-risk” sixth- graders. The 32 mentors in the program are trained to support these underprivileged kids, specifically those students in need of academic, social and emotional support. The UCSD students provide positive role models and constant friends for the children of Muirlands Middle School.

“We’re privileged to show them the opportunities that can come with college,” Hwangbo said. “We’re from a background where [going to] college is assumed. Why can’t they have that opportunity?”

Last fall, 32 UCSD undergraduate applicants were selected to be paired with 32 participating mentees by the four student directors of F.U.N. They underwent training and then began interacting with their mentees. Each mentor is encouraged to visit the middle school campus twice a week to visit his or her assigned student.

Each academic quarter, mentors take their mentees out for a special day of fun. During fall quarter, the group coordinated Sports Day, where kids had the opportunity to tour the UCSD campus, engage with other mentors and mentees, and participate in games that helped build teamwork and leadership skills. Mentors and mentees were able to get acquainted in activities such as red rover, dwarves and wizards, tug-of-war, soccer and football.

On Feb. 26, the mentors took all 32 mentees to the San Diego Zoo, which subsidized the tickets so the kids could enjoy a day of quality time with their mentors and friends.

“The San Diego Zoo has been incredibly supportive,” said Kiki Boddula, the program’s co-director.

State budget cuts have had a significant effect on outreach programs, and F.U.N., one of six volunteer programs supported by Associated Students, has felt the pinch.

“We have received less funding for events this year than last year,” Boddula said.

Budget cutbacks have forced F.U.N. directors to reassess their financial means and redirect their funds.

Mentors may have to help pay for their costs on events like the zoo. Additionally, “I-Want-To-Go-To-College Day,” the last big gathering of the year, will have to be modified. In the past, mentees have received prizes. This year, while UCSD Bookstore may help subsidize costs, the directors are encouraging mentors to make gifts for their mentees this year, since outside funding is more scarce than in previous years.

Another big event for the program is the end-of-the-year barbecue, where mentors and directors come together to encourage one another and talk about their experiences with their mentees. While F.U.N. will receive some subsidization from Associated Students, the rest of the money for the barbecue will have to come from other sources or students’ pockets.

“We basically have to be more economic,” Boddula said.

During the second week of spring quarter, F.U.N. will go to Sea World for its quarterly trip. Sea World will donate tickets for 50 mentors and mentees to visit the park for free.

In spite of budget cutbacks, the program is still running in full force, serving as a testament to the organization’s determination to provide positive role models for these children.