Three players named All-American

Senior setter Teresa Ohta, senior middle blocker Katie Hogan and senior outside hitter Bonnie Wilson of the UCSD women’s volleyball players were selected to the 2004 American Volleyball Coaches Association All-American team on Nov. 29. Ohta was named to the First Team for the second consecutive year, Wilson earned Third Team honors and Hogan got Honorable Mention.

Ohta, the all-time UCSD assists leader (4,749), was also named California Collegiate Athletic Association Most Valuable Player by the CCAA coaches on Nov. 17. Triton head coach Duncan McFarland was also awarded CCAA Coach of the Year and seven Tritons were chosen for the All-CCAA conference teams: Senior middle blocker Kendra Canape, senior outside hitter Stacy Dunsmore, Hogan, Ohta, and Wilson took All-CCAA First Team honors. Junior outside hitter Lindsay Crandell and freshman libero Natalie Facchini were voted into the All-CCAA Second Team.

Ohta engineered the Triton offense that averaged 16.53 kills per game and hit .302. In the 2004 season, she tallied 1,329 assists, 87 kills, 30 aces, 259 digs and 32 blocks. She ran a quick offense and handily set up passes for her teammates. She also held her own defensively, breaking the 1,000 digs mark earlier this season. The Triton team captain led a team that yielded in a remarkable 30-2 overall finish, including a perfect 18-0 record in CCAA play.

McFarland guided his team to its best league record since its jump to Division II in 2000 and claimed its first CCAA title. In addition, his team maintained a steady No. 2 national ranking and earned the top seed in the NCAA Pacific Regional playoffs.

Dunsmore finished her career by breaking the all-time UCSD kills record with 1,182 and placing second on the all-time digs record. She became the first player in UCSD history to reach 1,000 kills and 1,000 digs. She averaged 2.99 kills and 3.16 digs per game this season.

Hogan finished the season with UCSD’s single-season highest hitting percentage of .399 and third in career blocks with 360. She tallied a second-best 107 blocks during the regular season at the middle blocker position and averaged 2.91 kills per game. Hogan also had the second best hitting percentage, trailing Canape with .347. A reliable player, Hogan came up clutch for the Tritons at several occasions with a kill or a block to take the lead or close out a game.

Canape, also a middle blocker, finished her career with the highest hitting percentage, .351, and led the team with 109 blocks during the season. Averaging 2.28 kills per game, Canape was a spark plug on the court and her energy often provided the physical and mental boost for her teammates.

Wilson was the team’s most prolific attacker this season, recording double digits in kills in 24 of UCSD’s 29 matches in the regular season. She averaged a team-high 4.41 kills per game and her 439 kills place her atop the single-season kills list at UCSD. Although she transferred to UCSD her sophomore year, Wilson finished third on the all-time career kills list with 1,116.

Crandell is perhaps the team’s most improved player, hitting at a .330 clip, up 100 points from last season. The outside hitter averaged 2.48 kills per game and 1.72 digs per game. In addition, she played huge in CCAA matches, hitting .370, the highest mark among non-middle blockers.

Facchini has crafted a solid rookie campaign at libero with 3.07 digs per game, posting team-highs in digs in several matches. Her service game has been notable all season, pacing the team with 29 aces.

$2515
    $5000