Propositions 65 & 1A

Perhaps the best argument against Proposition 65, which would keep local tax revenue in local governments, is the fact that the very groups originally responsible for putting the measure on the ballot now oppose it. Local government leaders now back Proposition 1A, though this alternative possesses many of the same problems found in the original proposal. The desire to protect local governments from money grabs by the state — as both measures aim to do — is an honorable one, but it relies on a principle of local autonomy that simply does not exist. Voters must not micromanage the budgetary process and should not support a procedure that formalizes the process for raiding local coffers, as both measures propose to do. Under California’s constitution, the state government has full control over property, sales and vehicle license taxes; under our federalist system, localities and special districts exist only because the state has chosen to delegate authority and status to them. Citizens already have a way to

deal with legislators who hurt their cities: vote them out of office. Vote “no” on Propositions 1A and 65.

$2515
    $5000