A.S. Council at a Glance

Meeting #10 — Oct 27, 2004

Public Input

Student Affirmative Action Committee representative Jacob Davis told the council about a recent incident of vandalism in the Earl Warren College residence halls. Davis said there was a report of several college-aged males streaking through Warren College and writing a racial epitaph on the door of a student. The council urged any person with information about incidents of this nature to contact the UCSD Police Department.

Items of Immediate Consideration

Items K and L

Councilmembers voted to appoint A.S. President Jenn Pae and Thurgood Marshall College sophomore Senator Jason Hoskins to the Co-op Oversight Committee.

Reports

President Jenn Pae

Pae reported that Vice Chancellor Joseph W. Watson was receptive to her request to add additional student representation to the committee governing UCSD closed-circuit television stations. According to Pae, Watson agreed to request additional student representatives from each of the colleges at UCSD.

Vice President of Academic Affairs Caroline Song

Song reported that UCSD is currently over-enrolled by approximately three percent. According to Song, the campus currently has 23,675 undergraduate and graduate students, excluding pharmacy and summer Teacher Education Program students. The state currently provides funds for an enrollment of 23,050 students. With 80 students expected to enter the campus this winter under the Guaranteed Transfer Option, UCSD will not be receiving state funding for 3.3 percent of its students. Song said, however, that this does not always present a problem, as additional state funding is allocated when possible.

President Pro-tempore Ted McCombs

McCombs reported that the voter guides for the Nov. 2 elections have arrived. Students living on campus will receive the guides in their campus mailboxes while A.S. Council members will pass out guides to students living off campus in the next few days.

Old Business

Items F and J

The council passed legislation which changed the voting system for A.S. elections back to a plurality system. For the past two years, the A.S. Council had been in the process of instituting an instant runoff voting system for campus elections. The current council, however, denied legislation to fund the development of instant runoff and has now amended the A.S. election bylaws to reinstitute rules that require candidates to receive the most votes in a race to be declared the winner. The legislation passed by a vote of 15-4-0.

Item G

The council passed legislation amending the election bylaws to allow students to wear clothing or accessories endorsing a certain candidate in classrooms. Debate arose in the spring 2004 elections when complaints were filed saying that students were “actively campaigning” in classrooms when they wore candidate-specific clothing to class.

Announcements

Women’s Commissioner Representative Katie Drago announced that the Women’s Commission will be hosting a discussion on Oct. 28 entitled “How Healthy is Your Relationship?” It will take place at 6 pm in the Santa Barbara/ Los Angeles room in Price Center.

Members of the A.S. Council urged all registered voters to vote on Nov. 2.

— Compiled by Patrick Allen

Senior Staff Writer