Album Reviews

In their self-titled CD, the San Diego-based Louis XIV — which features three previous members of Convoy — focus on a vain boy who spews out lyrics like, “me, me, me, me, that is all I really care about,” and believe that he is the great king. The story unfolds against a backdrop of solid, traditional rock ’n’ roll, veering occasionally into rebellious, dynamic beats.

In “God Killed the Queen,” Brian Karscig teasingly sings, “If you want to take my body tonight/ Then you’ve got to be somebody tonight/ Use me just to make your body feel right;” Jason Hill asserts that “God killed the queen,” and in the midst of the noise, a guitar seems to be having a fight with itself. The rest of the CD falls under three distinct styles. One includes tense, bluesy guitars (mildly resembling the Strokes) with simultaneously cocky and taunting lyrics muttered by Hill. Another contains faster, louder beats and, with Karscig’s forceful and lighthearted vocals, demonstrates more punk influence. The sentimental ballad “The Ghost of the Chapel Royal,” sounds like an impersonation of the Rolling Stones while pondering the death of a great king.

Louis XIV will be performing on Oct. 2 at the Casbah.