A.S. Council at a Glance

A.S. Meeting #5

June 2, 2004

Public Input

Eleanor Roosevelt College junior Jonathan Walton, a representative of UCSD Co-ops, informed the council about a letter sent to UCSD administration through their legal representative. Walton said that the letter detailed concerns about the lease agreement between the Co-ops and the university. Walton also said that the Co-ops are looking forward to further discussing a Food Co-op satellite location in Price Center.

Former Administrative Coordinator for Student Initiated Outreach and Recruitment Commission Annie Nguyen encouraged councilmembers to make a commitment to SIORC in its allocation in the executive budget. Nguyen said that the program affects many students in terms of retention.

Items of Immediate Consideration

Items B through E and G through I

The council approved a series of appointments of councilmembers to various committees. Appointments included Rigo Marquez to the Building Advisory Committee for the North Campus Housing Project, Jenn Pae to the Price Center Expansion Committee and Jason Hoskins to the Co-op Oversight Committee.

Reports

President Jenn Pae

Pae reported that there are continuous discussions dealing with the Master Space Agreement for the Co-op spaces. Pae said that she is hoping that the agreement will be completed by fall quarter and that the month-to-month lease under which the co-ops currently operate will be changed to a six-month lease. Pae said that she would also like to see the agreement for the Food Co-op satellite location in Price Center signed in the near future.

Earl Warren College Interim Freshman Senator Todd Tolin

Tolin reported that the Committee on Educational Policy approved an international studies minor. Tolin also reported that students with double majors would be exempt from paying out-of-state tuition fees after exceeding the minimum amount of units to graduate.

Old Business

Item C

The council approved the ASUCSD Task Force on the Subject A Program. The task force’s duties include researching and evaluating the Subject A Program at UCSD. The task force will also study any discrepancies between the program and those in other UC campuses.

Item F

The council approved the ASUCSD appointments bylaws that provide proper conduct and management of undergraduate appointments. The bylaws include the creation of an Appointments Advisory Committee that will conduct interviews for appointment positions. The AAC will also serve as an advisory committee to the officer responsible for making the appointments. The bylaws also include guidelines for application, interview and confirmation procedures.

Announcements

Earl Warren College Junior Senator Josh Martino

Martino announced that there will be a luncheon in honor of retiring Earl Warren College Provost David K. Jordan, at 12 p.m to 3 p.m. on June 4. The luncheon will provide free food and will be held on Warren Lawn.

— Compiled by Marnette Federis

Associate News Editor

$2505
    $5000