A.S. Council at a Glance

Meeting #28

April 28, 2004

Items of Immediate Consideration

Item A

The A.S. Council failed to approve legislation submitted by A.S. President Jeremy Paul Gallagher to dissolve the ASUCSD by a vote of 10-6-2. As a constitutional amendment, the item needed a three-fourths vote of the council to pass.

Item B

The council approved amendments to the A.S. Financial Bylaws stating that the Activity Fees will not be allocated to the printing of rave cards, rack cards or postcards, among other items.

Items G and H

The council overturned a presidential veto of legislation that clarifies which council positions are ex-officio or associate positions.

Item K

The council approved the allocation of $600 from the General Unallocated fund to the Bahál Club for costs the club incurred from the John Kerry rally displacing the Bahál Club Awareness Week concert.

The concert was rescheduled for May 11.

Reports

Vice President of Academic Affairs Todd Tolin

Tolin reported that the Academic Advisory Board has passed three recommendations — the implementation of a queer, human sexuality LGBT or other minor, additional academic assistance services, and ASUCSD funding for an extension of Geisel Library hours.

Commissioner of Communications Frances Galvon

Galvon said that she is looking into standardized funding for all media organizations.

Student Affirmative Action Committee Representative Daniel Gonzalez

Gonzalez reported that SAAC will hold its elections May 5 at 4 p.m. at the Cross-Cultural Center Conference Room.

Council Caucus

The council discussed the possibility of the Triton Taxi Waiver being available online. Suggestions included having the waiver available on the A.S. Web site or on StudentLink. According to Thurgood Marshall College Chair Travis Silva, Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs Joseph W. Watson is opposed to having the waiver available online.

Old Business

Items A through E and J through Z

The council approved amendments to the Election Bylaws by consensus. Changes included removing the signature requirement for senator candidates, rules regarding sample ballots, including different word length for various positions, and other election procedures.

Item I

The council adopted a resolution in support of establishing a Black Studies Program at UCSD. SAAC representative Daniel Gonzalez objected to the resolution because representatives of the Black Student Union did not provide input on the resolution. A bid to pull the item from committee failed, forcing the council to take the internal committee’s recommendation to pass the item.

Item DD

The council removed the proposed Student Bill of Rights following A.S. President Jeremy Paul Gallagher’s request to withdraw the item due to lack of discussion. Gallagher said that he hopes the new council will take on the issue.

Announcements

Revelle College Freshman Senator Janet Wang

Wang encouraged students to attend an Emerging Leaders Program event called “Mirage” on April 30 at Price Center Plaza. The event is free and features fire dancers and a hookah lounge.

Special Meeting

Following adjournment, the 2004-05 A.S. Council met to appoint senators to legislative committees.

— Compiled by Marnette Federis,

Associate News Editor

$2515
    $5000