Tennis falls to Emory for third loss of 2004 season

The UCSD women’s tennis team dropped its third match of the season to the 2003 NCAA Division III national champions, Emory University, on March 8. The 7-2 loss brings the Tritons’ overall season record to 8-3 with only eight more matches left in the season.

The Tritons began the match with some hard-fought doubles matches. UCSD’s only two wins came from the doubles lineup. Sophomore Tara Siddiqui and freshman Kristin Bronowicki teamed up at No. 2 doubles to defeat their opponents, Carina Alberelli and Margaret Moscato, in a close 9-8 match that ended in a 7-4 tiebreaker. At No. 3 doubles, sisters Allison and Jenna Ishii, both sophomores, defeated Margaret Moscato and Jamie Chan, 8-5. The Tritons’ only doubles loss came at No. 1, where Emory’s Mary Gordon and Jolyn Taylor defeated UCSD’s senior Julie Westerman and junior Jasmin Dao, 8-2.

Unfortunately, the Tritons were unable to add any more points to the scoreboard in the singles matches. Emory swept the entire singles lineup, giving the Eagles the final 7-2 win. Despite the lopsided score, the Tritons were able to take three matches to three sets, including Westerman at No. 1 singles, sophomore Leigh Roberts at No. 2 and senior Kristina Jansen at No. 5.

Westerman played a very impressive match against Gordon, the No. 1 Division III singles player in the nation. Last year, the two played two close sets — 7-6, 7-6 —and this time around, Westerman and Gordon played another close match. Westerman quickly won her first set, 6-2, but Gordon was able to come back and close out the match by winning the next two sets, 6-4, 6-2.

At No. 2 singles, Roberts was able to make a comeback after losing the first set 6-1 to win her second set, but was stopped in the third set by Alberelli, making the final score 6-1, 2-6, 6-4. Jansen had a see-saw battle at No. 5 singles, constantly running down every shot and winning the first set 6-4. She lost the next two sets, however, 6-4 and 6-0. No. 2 Dao, No. 4 sophomore Marissa Hilker and No. 6 freshman Katie McKee were all defeated in straight sets.

“Emory used to be a formal rival of ours when we were in Division III,” UCSD head coach Liz LaPlante said. “But they’re even stronger now. They’re solid up and down the lineup.”

The Tritons have been playing back-to-back matches and will face rival Hawaii Pacific on March 12 at 1 p.m. at the Northview Courts.

“The girls are getting tired because they’ve been playing so many matches,” LaPlante said. “They’ve been playing a lot of long three-set matches and, especially with the heat, it’s been draining on the team. This season’s getting tougher, but we’re looking forward to facing Hawaii on Friday.”

$2515
    $5000