Hiatus Calendar

Thursday 22:

You’ve seen him on MTV, you’ve seen him on SNL ­ now you can see Chris Rock live at the Copley Symphony Hall. Rock’s confrontational and controversial comedic style has drawn attention and praise to him over the years. Now, as one of the most popular comedians of our day and a full-fledged movie star, Rock’s slyly intelligent stand-up comedy continues to draw crowds. He’s come a long way since “”CB4.”” The show starts at 7 p.m. and tickets range from $39.50 to $45.50. For more information, call (619) 220-TIXS.

How would you feel if you were a teenager coping with a premature aging disorder? David Lindsay-Abaire’s play “”Kimberly Akimbo”” explores this very idea in a satirical and heart-warming manner. The play follows Kimberly as she deals with the best and worst of humanity in the suburbs of New Jersey and beyond. The play runs through Feb. 22 at 6th @ Penn. The show begins at 8 p.m., Thursdays through Saturdays, and 7 p.m. on Sundays. Tickets are $17 to $20. For more information, call (619) 688-9210.

Friday 23:

Break out those cowboy boots and head on over to the Casbah, where Hank Williams III will be performing. While you may know him best as a country music star, Williams was influenced at a young age by punk rock ‹ a style that has influenced his music ever since. With a sound that mixes rockabilly, punk and country, Williams brings a welcome adventurousness to his music. The show begins at 8:30 p.m. Tickets are $15. For more information, call (619) 232-4355.

Saturday 24:

You may have heard of GoGoGo Airheart, one of San Diego’s most buzzworthy emo/punk bands. But now you get a chance to see them live when they perform along with Kill Me Tomorrow, Year Future and the Starvations at the Casbah. With four CDs, a large following and plenty of energy, GoGoGo Airheart has proven that they aren’t just your mediocre local punk band. Tickets are $8 and the show begins at 8:30 p.m. For more information, call (619) 232-4355.

It’s the stuff soap operas are made of: You’re married and happily in love Š so you think. Then you discover your husband has been cheating on you with your good friend. That’s precisely the path the play “”Women Who Steal”” takes, exploring the idea of unlikely friendships that come out of hard times. Fear not, this quirky comedy won’t leave you depressed and miserable. Rather, the play has a hint of “”Thelma and Louise””-style bonding mixed with tequila, sex and two angry women. See it for yourself at Lyceum Theatre. The show begins at 7 p.m. on Tuesdays and Sundays, and 8 p.m. on Wednesdays through Saturdays. Tickets are $25.50 to $42.50. For more information, call (619) 554-1000.

Fans of classical music will have to look no further than their own backyard (a.k.a., the UCSD campus) for a concert that will suit their musical preference. The Tokyo String Quartet plays at Mandeville Auditorium, featuring three violinists and a cellist. The quartet has performed around the world, from Carnegie Hall to “”Sesame Street.”” The show begins at 7:30 p.m. For more information, call (858) 534-TIXS.

Sunday 25:

If you’re too broke to see Britney Spears live, then go see the next best thing: Hilary Duff, live in concert! After all, Duff is essentially the next Spears, taking over the girl-next-door role that Britney left behind when she got hitched in Vegas. With her fantastically addicting songs (admit it, you sing along to “”So Yesterday”” when it comes on the radio), watching Hilary Duff is the best way to enjoy sugary pop for less than it would cost you to see someone like *NSYNC live. Performing at Cox Arena and the show starts at 5 p.m. Tickets are $33.25 to $42.75. For more information, call (619) 220-TIXS.

Monday 26:

What is born anew every night and dies at dawn? To find out, watch “”Turandot,”” the fairy-tale style opera put on at San Diego Civic Theatre. “”Turandot”” is about the Princess of Peking who needs to find a man and promises to marry the man who can answer three riddles. Meeting suitor after suitor who try and fail to awful consequences ‹ those who fail are beheaded. Then, comes the one man who is determined to stop the madness by answering the riddles. If you’re new to opera, this is a wonderful introduction, ith a beautiful story. The show runs through Feb. 4. Tickets are $20 to $100 and times vary. For more information, call (619) 570-1100.

Wednesday 27:

If you’re really interested in getting to know the San Diego music scene, stop by Belly Up Tavern to listen to Anya Marina, Berkley Hart, Operatic and more. The acoustic show is a great way to immerse yourself in the local music scene. An I.D. is needed (the show is 21 and up). Tickets are $6. The show begins at 7:30 p.m. For more information, call (858) 481-9022.

Look to the Hiatus Calendar for events in and around UCSD.

All tickets can be purchased through Ticketmaster by calling (619) 220-8497 or by going to http://www.ticketmaster.com unless otherwise noted.

$2515
    $5000