Men's basketball falls to Redlands, 119-112

The UCSD men’s basketball team wanted to get on track with its first victory of the season when it traveled to the University of Redlands on Nov. 29 to play a non-conference game. However, the Division III Bulldogs proved to be too much for the Division II Tritons, defeating UCSD, 119-112.

Anna MacMurdo
    Guardian file

Shooting only 32 percent from the field, the Bulldogs relied on three-point shooting and free throws. The disparity between UCSD and Redlands was enormous, as the Bulldogs made 19 three-pointers and 36 free throws, while the Tritons could only deliver one three-pointer and 17 free throws for the game. But, the Tritons kept it close by shooting 56 percent from the field and had 12 ties and 19 lead changes throughout the game.

The Bulldogs’ depth and experience was crucial. While the Tritons returned only five players, the Bulldogs returned 12 players from last year’s squad. Their bench outscored the Tritons, 55-39.

UCSD was led by the solid play of junior forward Jesse Boyd, who dominated with 35 points on 15-20 shooting and grabbed 11 rebounds. Sophomore forward Adam Snyder also had a great game with 21 points by shooting 10-13 from the floor, while sophomore forward Matthew Conti chipped in with 15 points and 10 boards. Redlands’ leading scorer Billy Shivers, who dropped 26 points on the Tritons, led the Bulldogs to victory.

Anna MacMurdo
    Guardian file

No coaches or players were available for comment.

The loss drops UCSD to 0-2 for the regular season, while Redlands improved to 2-1 with the only loss coming against Division I Villanova. The Tritons will travel to play Grand Canyon in Phoenix on Dec. 4 and then to San Diego State to play a tough Aztec team on Dec. 6.

$2515
    $5000