Letters to the Editors

Editor:

On Monday, Nov. 3, 2003, Boaz Gurdin wrote a letter to the Guardian criticizing Acting Chancellor Marsha A. Chandler’s handling of the university closures on Oct. 27 to Oct. 29. In that letter, the author made some statements that were simply false. First of all, the letter said that there was no e-mail sent to the students about the university being closed.

That is simply not true. I received an e-mail before each closure, and that e-mail was sent to a relay address which goes to everybody with a ucsd.edu e-mail address. Second of all, the closure announcement did come late before Oct. 27’s closing (2:45 a.m., that morning), but the announcements were quite early before Oct. 28’s and Oct. 29’s closing (both coming the afternoon on the day before).

Maybe Gurdin’s e-mail account is full and those e-mails were being rejected, but this information was available on the campus Web site as well. Maybe there was some technical reason the author didn’t get the e-mail, though that doesn’t make a lot of sense. I checked with a number of students, and they all told me that they received the e-mail.

I don’t think Boaz asked around before making the claim, which is amusing since the writer likes to throw around the “”liar”” tag. Something about throwing stones in glass houses comes to mind.

‹ Brian Saunders

San Diego Supercomputer Center

$2515
    $5000