UCSD opens its doors to visitors

Themed “”Oceans of Fun”” in commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UCSD held its annual all-campus Open House on Oct. 25.

Tibora Girczyc-Blum/Guardian
    Fun day: UCSD’s 2003 Open House, “”Oceans of Fun,”” brought visitors on campus for a large array of activities, performances and entertainment.

The event was dedicated to linking the UCSD community and alumni through a vast array of activities, showcases, entertainment and campus tours in conjunction with the centennial celebration of Scripps.

“”You really get a picture of the range of what UCSD does and its connection to the community,”” Acting Chancellor Marsha A. Chandler said. “”This is one of the few times people can see what’s going on, and all parts of the campus are represented.””

Performances by Promotion of Artistic and Vocal Expression, Ballet Folklorico La Jolla de Mexico, the Triton Dance team and the UCSD Breakin’ Club, were held at Price Ceter and Warren Mall.

The Preuss School, a charter school of UCSD for underpriviledged students, was open for visitors as well.

Numerous UCSD’s academic departments and programs held booths at Library Walk, including one from the Education Abroad Program.

UCSD student organizations such as the Chinese American Student Association, Nikkei Student Union and the Thai Culture Club were just some of the groups present.

Shuttle services transported attendees from Mandeville Center to Scripps for those interested in attending the joint open house celebration of Scripps.

“”It was a good turnout on the shuttle,”” said Revelle College senior Maya Bell, who volunteered in the shuttle service.

The open house attracted non-California residents as well.

“”I met a family that came all the way from Arizona just for the event,”” Bell said.

SIO marine physical lab staff member Amber Rieder noted how successful the event was.

“”It has been very well coordinated, and everything is really alive,”” Rieder said. “”The turnout has been really steady. I didn’t think so many people would show up.””

The SIO’s celebration marked the 100th year anniversary of the institution’s establishement on Sept. 26, 1903. The open house was one of the many festivities of Scripps to commemorate its centennial.

“”It took six years to plan the centennial celebration, and we’ve been celebrating all year long,”” said Dora Dalton, a communications director of the Open House Committee at Scripps. “”The UCSD Open House is a culmination of our entire celebration.””

Dalton said that UCSD played a major role in funding the Scripps’ joint open house celebration.

Chandler said that in past years, an open house was not always plausible.

“”During the 1990s, an open house could not be held because there was a bad budget,”” she said.

Dalton, however, said that an event like the UCSD Open House is essential to the community.

“”It’s important because a centennial celebration happens only once,”” Dalton said.

The centennial celebration at Scripps featured performances by the Running Path Tribal Dancers and the Hui ke Aloha O Hula, a hula dance group. Old Ford roadsters were exhibited as was the Ring Tank, which Scripps scientists use to study animal physiology. Other activities included fish printing and pumpkin painting.

The Ellen Browning Scripps Memorial Pier at Scripps was open for the public exclusively for the event. Built and completed in 1988, the pier is used strictly for research.

Overall, Rieder felt the open house was successful in its goal of celebrating the campus and the community.

“”Lots of people helped bridge the gap between the community and the university,”” she said.