Dynes comes back to campus for 5K run

Hosting the annual Chancellor’s Challenge 5K run at RIMAC Field, UC President and former UCSD Chancellor Robert C. Dynes returned to UCSD to run in the event, and helped raise over $300,000 for undergraduate scholarships on Oct. 23. With 1,102 participants completing the race, the event had its highest turnout ever in what is expected to be its final year. Since Dynes assumed the position of chancellor in 1996, the event has raised over $1 million for undergraduate scholarships.

To commemorate the run’s final year, sponsors pledged over $140,000 to create the Dynes-Hellman endowment fund, which will fund undergraduate scholarships. Dynes, who finished 186th with a time of 22 minutes and 33 seconds, also pledged to donate $25 for every person to beat him. His wife, Frances Dynes-Hellman, finished 285th with a time of 24:24 and pledged $25 for every woman that beat her. Despite strong performances, the couple donated $5,600 as a result of their pledges. The couple also received a commemorative quilt made with T-shirts of previous races from the staff.

“”This means a great deal to Frances and me ‹ both this quilt and the scholarship that has been endowed for undergraduate scholarships,”” Dynes said. “”I don’t know what else to say. I’ll never forget the tremendous generosity on this campus. And I’d like to congratulate all of you that actually did run or walk for surviving the 5K this year. In addition to the endowment, we’ve managed to raise $160,000 today, which isn’t a bad day’s work.””

In addition to the scholarship money, Dynes also ran for a free car wash. In accordance with tradition, the Chancellor and A.S. President Jeremy Gallagher wagered on the outcome of the race.

“”Acting Chancellor Marsha Chandler and I had a wager with the A.S. President Jeremy Gallagher,”” said President Dynes after the race. “”And guess what, I beat him. The bet was if Jeremy came ahead of me, Marsha would sponsor a student barbeque. So guess what: you don’t get a barbeque. And if I beat Jeremy, he gets to wash my car … So I’m going to have a very clean car this afternoon.””

Gallagher, who finished 749th with a time of 34:35, did not train for the event, but nonetheless felt satisfied with the outcome.

“”I’m really happy with the money that’s going to scholarships,”” Gallagher said. “”I didn’t have any strong expectations, but I knew I was not in the best shape I’ve ever been in.””

Many participants, which included students, faculty, staff and local high school students, echoed Gallagher’s feelings on the sun-drenched day.

“”[I feel] like I accomplished something,”” said Phoebe Lee, an Earl Warren College sophomore. “”I feel really good. I didn’t know what to expect because it was my first year doing it. I wanted to [beat President Dynes] at first, but then I looked online at his time and I was like ŒNo, I can’t do that.'””

With a time of 16:14, third-year graduate biology student Nicholas Hamlin, who participates in marathons, won the race for the second year.

“”I was just thinking I was probably going to be top five,”” Hamlin said. “”I didn’t know how fast it was going to be this year. Sometimes there are a lot of really fast runners and sometimes it’s more to my range, so I can do well. Dynes is a very good runner. His times are very good. He’s very impressive.””