New recycling program adopted

Physical Plant Services is implementing a campus-wide single-stream recycling program, Assistant Vice Chancellor of Auxiliary and Plant Services Gary Matthews announced on Oct. 14.

“”We’re revising the existing recycling program,”” Matthews said. “”Before, you had to separate the paper from the glass and cans and put them in at least two different recycling bins. Now, all recyclable products go into one bin and the waste company sorts [materials].””

Similar programs have been adopted in the cities of Chula Vista and San Diego as well as in the San Diego airport. This new program is more efficient in many ways, Matthews said.

“”It saves the individual person in a room or office from having to sort their recyclables,”” Matthews said.

In addition, the waste company can do the sorting more efficiently by using conveyer belts or hiring workers to manually sort waste.

Many students favor this new single-stream recycling program.

“”In terms of making it easier for people to recycle, it’s a good thing,”” Campus Greens member David Leeman said. “”The more convenient it is, the more likely people will be willing to help out.””

John Muir College freshman Jean Long agreed that single-stream recycling will “”definitely”” make recycling much easier.

“”The one bin for all my recyclables is convenient,”” Long said.

Matthews agreed that it was more convenient for students.

“”It puts the burden of recycling on the company,”” Matthews said.

This new program also saves the campus money by diverting recyclable items from going into a landfill, Matthews said. The waste hauler, Specific Waste, pays by the ton for certain recyclables, such as high-quality paper.

“”The volume is never that great where we make more money than we spend to throw it away,”” Matthews said.

If the campus recycles, it offsets costs, according to Matthews.

“”We hope that this encourages people to recycle more because it costs less to recycle than it does to bury things in a landfill, and it is better for the environment,”” Matthews said. “”We’re not utilizing the riches of the Earth and then disposing of it. We’re using it multiple times.””

Discussion concerning shifting to the new recycling program started during the summer. Members of the Auxiliary and Plant Services staff negotiated with Specific Waste to form a new contract so that the company now picks up both the garbage and recyclables.

Desk-size recycling baskets have been delivered to some individual offices and residence halls in the first weeks of the quarter. They have yet to be delivered to various academic buildings.

$2515
    $5000