Fall Fest 2003

Common was raised in Chicago’s south side and was influenced by the soulful music he heard while growing up. When he got the opportunity to let his voice be heard through music, he made sure it would have a heavy soul influence. He debuted under the name ³Common Sense² as a reflection of his lyrical insights.

His first album, Can I Borrow a Dollar?, was given positive reviews but received little attention among the mainstream outside of the single ³Take it EZ.² His sophomore release, Resurrection, was given even better reviews, and Common amazed critics by not falling into the sophomore slump typical of so many hip-hop artists.

His most recent releases, Like Water for Chocolate and Electric Circus, have also been well-received and have found a niche audience. ³The Light,² a single off Like Water for Chocolate, was played heavily on radio and its accompanying video received heavy rotation from MTV and B.E.T. His current girlfriend, Erykah Badu, was featured in it and the two have collaborated on songs ever since.

Electric Circus, which was released in late 2002, does not stray far from Common’s poetic style. The album includes the single ³Come Close,² featuring Mary J. Blige, and found commercial success similar to that of ³The Light.² Common combined his lyrics with production mainly from The Neptunes and ?uestlove from The Roots to give him a mainstream, yet unique sound. The most recent exposure Common has had has been alongside R&B singer Mya in an omnipresent Coca-cola ad in which the two duet.

Common is also an accomplished break-dancer, and has been known to show off his skills during live sets. He has the ability to battle rap on one track, talk about the distress in the ghetto and then express his love for his lady on the next. His performance on Oct. 3 will be a unique experience, considering not many well-known hip-hop artists come to UCSD.

$2515
    $5000