'Spellbound' synonymous with dramaturgic

Just like at the beginning of any summer, the movie theaters are currently overrun by “”films”” sporting little more than flashy special effects and cheap laughs. Believe it or not, there is a film out there that generates more genuine excitement than “”The Matrix: Reloaded,”” only with more heart and no special effects whatsoever. And it’s about spelling bees.

Courtesy of Thinkfilm

“”Spellbound”” is just what the doctor ordered for those summertime movie blues. Director Jeff Blitz lets the audience into the worlds of eight very cool adolescents — some of the best spellers in the nation — as they struggle with the pressures of both studying for the annual National Spelling Bee and entering their teenage years. From the first frame of the film where motormouth Harry Altman struggles with the word “”banns,”” you root for them the whole way.

Each child brings their own unique story to the film, from East Indian Neil Kadakia’s privileged household in San Clemente, Calif., to Ashley White’s life in the black Washington, D.C. projects. The stories are told in succession to make up the first portion of the film until it’s time for the big spelling bee in Washington, D.C. Each vignette is artfully told and takes up just enough time for the audience to grow attached but not become bored.

Although each child lives in vastly different circumstances, they share the Herculean determination and work ethic necessary to complete the daunting task of learning every word they can in the English language. The methodology is fascinating, from studying etymologies and languages of origin to Kadakia’s father’s method of researching words used in other competitions and studying in particular the ones that gave others problems.

Even more interesting, of course, are the individual circumstances of each participant. Angela Arenivar, for example, didn’t learn English until kindergarten (her parents are Mexican immigrants living in Texas). She began studying spelling of her own volition, inventing word games and studying with a teacher.

“”At the time, I didn’t understand that excelling in the competition meant a great deal to my family,”” Arenivar said. The bee took place in 1999, and Arenivar, now a high school student who hopes to go to Texas A&M to study medicine, has become somewhat of a celebrity. Looking back on the old footage, she first felt awkward about seeing her eighth grade self onscreen but soon realized the importance of her own story.

The excitement builds as each speller’s story leads them to the national finals where they go head to head in an open competition of over 200 finalists. As each day progresses, the competitors, including the eight introduced in the beginning, are eliminated one by one as they face words like “”zwieback”” and “”heleoplankton.”” It all leads to the final day of competition, where the finalists face “”championship words”” that are seemingly unheard of.

The competition is genuinely engrossing and seeing each child face the crowd, knowing that the show is televised nationally on ESPN, will have audiences on the edge of their seats. Rooting for your favorite competitor is something which Arenivar understands, likening the competition to a sporting event. But she also realizes the deeper truth that the film hints at: striving against the odds to meet one’s goals.

“”At the time,”” Arenivar reflects, “”I didn’t grasp the concept that I was living the American dream.””

Spellbound

****

Starring Angela Arenivar and Neil Kadakias

Opens June 6 at Landmark Ken Theater

Rated G