hiatus calendar

Thursday 05/29/03

Original artwork is a staple of many concerts and shows in clubs around the country and Plastered: San Diego Rock Poster Gallery Show is the best way to get an up-close look at the art. The gallery show will feature such artists as Douglas Thompson, Maynard and Doug Barker and Scrojo, whose poster art includes pictures of Rahzel, the B-Side Players and Angelique Kido. The show has the always great incentive of free admission. It takes place at 6 p.m. at M-Theory Music. For more information, call (619) 269-2963.

For a night of laughs and amusement, be sure to check out Jamie Kennedy when he comes to San Diego. Kennedy is best known for his roles in the “”Scream”” trilogy, the new movie “”Malibu’s Most Wanted”” and his own show on WB. The actor/comedian, will be performing at Spreckels Theatre as part of his nationwide tour. The show starts at 8 p.m. and tickets run from $26 to $38.

Friday 05/30/03

If you can’t wait until August to check out Jack Johnson’s show at UCSD, be sure to catch him when he plays in San Diego at Spreckels Theatre. The folk rock singer/songwriter, best known for his songs “”Bubble Toes”” and “”Flake”” has been known to put on awesome shows, bringing energy and life to the concerts. Johnson will be playing to promote his new album On and On. Tickets are $25. The show starts at 8 p.m.

Saturday 05/31/03

Black Eyed Peas, one of the most notable hip-hop groups in the music industry today, will be playing at Canes Bar and Grill. With live shows that leave audiences feeling upbeat and pleased, the Black Eyed Peas are sure to put on a show to entertain. For more information on the band, check out the article on page 9. Tickets are $20 and the concert starts at 9 p.m.

If you’re looking to bring a little bit of culture into your life, the Mainly Mozart festival is the way to go. This is the 15th year the concert has been around and will have something for every music lover. Featuring orchestras, a Baroque trio recital, string quartets, wind quintets and a piano trio along with a mix of chamber music performances and orchestra programs, the festival is sure to delight even the newest fans of classical music. Running from May 31 to June 22, this is one festival that is sure to please this summer. Tickets run from $18 to $48. For more information call (619) 239-0100.

Sunday 06/01/03

Looking for a blend of ’60s rock and modern day punk rock? Be sure to check out the Pattern when they play at The Casbah. This contemporary Californian band has catchy music reminiscent of garage rock and soul with a little bit of British R&B thrown into the mix. Tickets are $8. For more information, call (619) 232 4355

Tuesday 06/03/03

Hit makers Coldplay are back on tour, and this is your chance to check them out. The band, known for their soulful songs such as “”Yellow,”” “”Clocks”” and “”In My Place,”” will be sure to put on another of their stunning shows, leaving you moved beyond words. The band is well known to be energetic and optimistic throughout the show, putting on a concert that will definitely satisfy any music lover. Coldplay will be playing at Cox Arena at 8 p.m. For more information, call (619) 594 0429.

Whether you’re a fan of tap dancing or just really enjoy Irish culture, be sure to check out “”Lord of the Dance”” when the show makes a stop at the San Diego Civic Center. From June 3 to June 8, Michael Flatley’s retelling of an old Irish folktale will be sure to leave you breathless and in awe of the dancing. Tickets run from $22 to $48. For more information, call (619) 220-TIXS.

As every college student knows, fine dining is a hard thing to come by, especially on a college budget. But the annual Taste of Gaslamp food festival will be sure to satisfy the taste buds. The festival, which takes place in the Gaslamp Quarter, will feature sample menus from 30 different area restaurants and pubs. Even the pickiest of eaters will have a wide variety of food to taste; everything from Italian food to seafood to sweets will be available to eat. And if you’re a lucky 21-or-older, be sure to sample the three different flavors of beer at the beer garden. The festival goes from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Tickets cost $25 in advance or $30 the night of the event. For more information, call (619) 233-5227.

Wednesday 06/04/03

Seventies punk band the Buzzcocks are back and better than ever! Along with the Clash and the Sex Pistols, the Buzzcocks were at the forefront of the British punk invasion of 1976 and 1977. One of the most original bands out there, the band will put on a show that you’ll never forget. With musical style that ranges from punk to pop-punk, the Buzzcocks are at the head of the music scene, bringing both old school music and new style emo to the table. Playing at 4th & B, the show starts at 8 p.m. Tickets are $17.50. For more information, call (619) 231-4343.

Indie-rockers the Dismemberment Plan is coming to San Diego! The band from Washington D.C. has formed quite a following since they first got together in 1993. With a quirky style that bounces around all over the place, from jazz to punk to rock and roll, The Dismemberment Plan is definitely the band to see to if you’re looking for a good time. The band is playing at The Casbah at 8:30 p.m. Tickets cost $12.

$2515
    $5000