CCC holds eighth All People's ceremony

The Cross-Cultural Center held its eighth annual All People’s Celebration ceremony on May 22. The awards ceremony honored individuals who have made a positive difference in increasing multicultural understanding at UCSD and the surrounding community.

Rachel A. Garcia

Students, faculty and members of various UCSD organizations packed the CCC building for an event that lasted several hours.

The night entailed a reception and dinner, followed by the awards ceremony and ended with a dance, all of which took place in the CCC building.

The event was free for all in attendance.

Rachel A. Garcia

Guests began the evening by viewing artwork lining the walls of the building.

Dianne Que, a student intern at the CCC, spoke of the event that she had organized in the center just the night before.

“”Art Avenue,”” an event sponsored by the CCC and the Student Affirmative Action Committee, exhibited works celebrating diverse communities, many of which were creations by UCSD students and alumni.

The ceremony succeeding the reception included performances by UCSD students, several presentations to nominated individuals and organizations and a student-made documentary film about the CCC.

Over 100 award recipients were recognized and praised for their various efforts in enhancing diversity in the UCSD community.

Recipients included Literature Professor George Mariscal, Jeanne Manese of Psychological and Counseling services and several students from organizations including the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Association and Kaibigang Pilipino.

A farewell to graduating seniors was also given with an introduction of the new CCC interns. The night concluded with a clearing of chairs and tables to make room for a celebratory dance.

Mari Dar, a student intern at the CCC, co-created the film about the center with fellow CCC staff member Denise Pacheco.

According to Dar, she wanted to make a documentary to show that the CCC and all the people involved have made great strides in promoting diversity and understanding.

“”We wanted to show how important this place is to the community and the campus,”” Dar said.

Starting out as an officer for the Kaibigang Pilipino, Dar became a Diversity Peer Educator/Programming Intern for the CCC.

Chris Sweeten, a nominated freshman receiving recognition for his work with the A.S. Council and the CCC, explained the importance of the center to UCSD students.

“”[The CCC] is a facility where people can feel welcomed — where people feel they are on an equal plane,”” Sweeten said.

Albert Caralvo, a Thurgood Marshall College senior and member of Kaibigang Pilipino, reemphasized the significance of the center.

“”It gives us something common to bring us together,”” Caralvo said.

Due to the recent fee referendum, the CCC will be moving to a new location next year. While details about the move remain uncertain, students and faculty in attendance expressed the need for the CCC to have a larger building in order to accommodate its needs.

$2515
    $5000